Question

Seeking Best Practices and Validated Designs for Cloud Workload Backup with Commvault in Azure VMware Solution (AVS)

• 31 May 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge +4

I am currently gathering information for a backup solution for a significant cloud workload involving 400 virtual machines in an Azure VMware Solution (AVS) environment using Commvault. The workload is expected to grow up to a thousand instances over time. The VM instanes are spread across two clusters in two AZ’s probably set up in Stretch Cluster mode.While I understand that the specific storage tiers and scale may vary based on workload characteristics, change rates, and disk space usage, I am seeking a reference or general guidance that can assist in designing the environment effectively.

Here are the specific aspects I'm interested in:

1. Storage Libraries: What are the best practices for storage libraries when using Commvault with AVS for a cloud workload of this scale? Are there any general recommendations regarding the use of performance tiers for primary copies and lower-cost storage tiers for secondary/tertiary copies in AVS?

2. Backup Proxies: Given the expected growth in the number of virtual instances, what are the general considerations or best practices for designing the backup proxies within the AVS environment for optimal scalability and performance?

3. Disaster Recovery: Considering the size of the workload, what are the key factors to consider for a robust disaster recovery strategy in a cloud workload scenario? Are there any general validated designs or guidelines available for disaster recovery in such environments?

I have gone through the AVS documentation but was expecting a bit more details .

https://documentation.commvault.com/v11/essential/128997_azure_vmware_solution.html

While I acknowledge that a comprehensive assessment of the workload, change rates, and disk space usage is necessary for precise design decisions, I am looking for a reference or general guidance that can help in designing the backup solution effectively for a cloud workload of this scale.

Thank you for your time and expertise. I am in the process of gathering information and would appreciate any insights or experiences you can share.

4 replies

Badge +15

Take a look at this doc and see if it helps: https://documentation.commvault.com/2023/expert/assets/pdf/AWSCloudArchitectureGuide_2022e_Edition.pdf

Badge +4

Thank you for your response! I found the document you shared to be informative, but I noticed that all the whitepapers linked within the document pertain to AWS. If possible, could you please provide me with the relevant resources for Azure VMware Solution as well? Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Nik here you go! https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/others/pdf/public-cloud-architecture-guide-for-microsoft-azure11-25.pdf

Badge +4

Thank you @Onno van den Berg , while this document does not specifically focus on Azure VMware Solution (AVS), the sections on Performance and Storage provide valuable insights that can partially address your question. I would appreciate any whitepapers or validated reference designs focused on Azure VMware Solution (AVS) and its tailored configurations. I have been unable to find such documentation online, so any assistance in locating these resources would be helpful.