Solved

Server Plans & Synthetic Fulls

• 5 August 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

I have a client that is looking to migrate to plans, I have built out their required classes & retentions in a lab the only thing I have a question about is the synthetic full scheduling, they have a requirement to run a weekly synthetic full.  When you create a plan it creates the schedule for a full in line with the primary retention as an automatic schedule every 30 days.

Is it still acceptable to edit the schedule policy in the Java GUI for the synthetic full from “Every 30 days”  to say a shorter period of time (ie 7 days) and allow the full backup window to handle the window or change from the automatic schedule to a weekly schedule with a set time?

I want to achieve the flexibility of plans for them but also meet their requirements.

icon

Best answer by JBuratti 5 August 2021, 13:15

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi @Michael Woodward,

As you have figured out a Plan is essentially a combination of a storage policy, schedule policy and subclient policy all rolled into one.  If you need to have a little more granular control over the schedule pattern you should be able to modify the schedule policy within the console GUI to suit your needs.  

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Thanks @JBuratti for the response, I know that from FR23 onwards you can’t delete some elements of a plan in the java console from reading other posts here. As long as the modification of the schedule for a Synthetic Full is supported within the bounds of granular control I’ll be happy,

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@Michael Woodward, yes you are correct as certain elements are not supported to be modified or deleted directly from the schedule policy, however a simply modification of the schedule pattern would be fine  

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi Michael,

Synthetic full is smart to run automatically based on selective copy or extended retention rules.  So if there is weekly tape out,  synth full will run with automatic schedule

is there any other reason they want to run synth full every 7 days?

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

is there any other reason they want to run synth full every 7 days?

@pgokhale It’s a requirement they’ve given me to meet.

They have requested different retentions across the levels of protection they want, eg: 2 months for a particular dataset but extended retention on weekly fulls for 90 days.  When I create the plans with that configuration the automatic Synth Full schedule in the schedule policy is set to run every 60 days in line with the base retention and not based on the extended retention rules.