Question

Sharepoint DB Backup fails due to service accounts not having access to Jobresults/Log Files directories

• 30 January 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi!

We’re currently testing in our Dev environment with Sharepoint Subscription Edition.

I’ve configured it like i normally do, and when i do a “Validate Account” it says everything is fine.

However, when i tested doing a full DB backup, it “Completed with errors”. So i did a little bit of digging, and found out that there are a lot (~15) of service-accounts in use for this sharepoint installation, so just for testing purposes, i added all service-accounts with access to the Job results and Log Files directories, and then the backup completed successfully.

So, it seems to me that there needs to be more accounts that needs to be given access to those folders.

So i started doing some more testing, by removing 1 account at a time, but i ran into an issue where it seems some of the account/account-info is cached, because the job would fail, and i would add the account back again, and it would still fail for the next couple of times, but if i waited some hours, then retried, without having done any changes, the job completed successfully again….. which means that the job of eliminating accounts that needs access to the Log Files & Job results 1 by 1, would take a lot of time and trial & error. 

So, i’m guessing a default installation of Sharepoint with default service-accounts would would work with the rights described/checked by the “validate account” option, but in our case it seems multiple other service-accounts in sharepoint needs to be added, and i cannot find which ones….

7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi @Bjorn M

SharePoint does use a variety of accounts for different operations that occur throughout the backup process.  Here’s a link that details the permissions:

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/57645_sharepoint_server_properties_general.html

Mike

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

@Mike H 

When i run “Validate Account”, it returns the following (see screenshot)

However, even if Commvault claims it has everything it needs … backups completes with errors, unless i add most/all of the service-accounts that exists for this Sharepoint installation……

So perhaps the information you linked to above should specify “Sharepoint Services account(s)” instead of “Sharepoint Services account” :-)

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

@Bjorn M 

Can you run another SharePoint DB backup and attach the cvspbackup and cvspscan log?

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

@Mike H 

I assume you want that backup ran with the standard accounds having access to the job results and log files, and not when i’ve added the 16-accounts where it works ?

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

@Mike H

I assume you want that backup ran with the standard accounds having access to the job results and log files, and not when i’ve added the 16-accounts where it works ?

Exactly.

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

@Mike H

I’ve removed all the accounts, then ran validate account on the “sharepoint server”, and let it assign permissions, where it added 1 account to the Job Results and Log Files.

I then manually started a full backup, and it completed successfully.

I then started a second full backup, and it completed with Errors. 

These are the errors (same as previously, parts of servername has been replaced with <SERVERNAME>):

\MB\Farm\Shared Services\Shared Services Applications\Search Service Application   FAILED    Object Search Service Application failed in event OnBackup. For more information, see the spbackup.log or sprestore.log file located in the backup directory.     FaultException: Management called failed with System.InvalidOperationException: 'Backup job 'SP08928f1503cb->\\<SERVERNAME>04\2073\Backup\87cbfa2a-4b00-8541-ba70-c7db78d26d12\spbr0000\' has recently finished. Use a new handle for subsequent calls' at    at Microsoft.Ceres.SearchCore.IndexController.BackupService.StartFirstPhase(String indexSystemName, String handle, IList`1 directories, Int32 numFragments)    at Microsoft.Ceres.SearchCore.IndexController.IndexController.StartFirstPhaseP2P(String indexSystemName, String handle, IList`1 directories)    at Microsoft.Ceres.SearchCore.IndexController.IndexControllerManagementAgent.WrapCall[T](Func`2 original)
\MB\Farm\Shared Services\Shared Services Applications\Search Service Application\[Service Application Endpoint Group]   FAILED    Aborted due to error in another component.
\MB\Farm\Shared Services\Shared Services Applications\Search Service Application\<SERVERNAME>_Search   FAILED    Aborted due to error in another component.
\MB\Farm\Shared Services\Shared Services Applications\Search Service Application\<SERVERNAME>_Search\Admin (i: on <SERVERNAME>04)   FAILED    Aborted due to error in another component.
\MB\Farm\Shared Services\Shared Services Applications\Search Service Application\<SERVERNAME>_Search_CrawlStore   FAILED    Aborted due to error in another component.
\MB\Farm\Shared Services\Shared Services Applications\Search Service Application\<SERVERNAME>_Search_LinksStore   FAILED    Aborted due to error in another component.
\MB\Farm\Shared Services\Shared Services Applications\Search Service Application\<SERVERNAME>_Search_AnalyticsReportingStore   FAILED    Aborted due to error in another component.
\MB\Farm\Shared Services\Shared Services Applications\Search Service Application\Search - AdminComponent1 (<SERVERNAME>04)   FAILED    Aborted due to error in another component.
\MB\Farm\Shared Services\Shared Services Applications\Search Service Application\Search - AdminComponent2 (<SERVERNAME>03)   FAILED    Aborted due to error in another component.
\MB\Farm\Shared Services\Shared Services Applications\Search Service Application\Search - AnalyticsProcessingComponent1 (<SERVERNAME>04)   FAILED    Aborted due to error in another component.
\MB\Farm\Shared Services\Shared Services Applications\Search Service Application\Search - AnalyticsProcessingComponent2 (<SERVERNAME>03)   FAILED    Aborted due to error in another component.
\MB\Farm\Shared Services\Shared Services Applications\Search Service Application\Search - ContentProcessingComponent1 (<SERVERNAME>04)   FAILED    Aborted due to error in another component.
\MB\Farm\Shared Services\Shared Services Applications\Search Service Application\Search - ContentProcessingComponent2 (<SERVERNAME>03)   FAILED    Aborted due to error in another component.
\MB\Farm\Shared Services\Shared Services Applications\Search Service Application\Search - IndexComponent1 (<SERVERNAME>04)   FAILED    Aborted due to error in another component.
\MB\Farm\Shared Services\Shared Services Applications\Search Service Application\Search - IndexComponent2 (<SERVERNAME>03)   FAILED    Aborted due to error in another component.
\MB\Farm\Shared Services\Shared Services Applications\Search Service Application\Search - QueryProcessingComponent1 (<SERVERNAME>04)   FAILED    Aborted due to error in another component.
\MB\Farm\Shared Services\Shared Services Applications\Search Service Application\Search - QueryProcessingComponent2 (<SERVERNAME>03)   FAILED    Aborted due to error in another component.
\MB\Farm\Shared Services\Shared Services Applications\Search Service Application\IndexController   FAILED    Aborted due to error in another component.
\MB\Farm\Shared Services\Shared Services Applications\Search Service Application\Crawl-0 (i: on <SERVERNAME>04)   FAILED    Aborted due to error in another component.
\MB\Farm\Shared Services\Shared Services Applications\Search Service Application\Crawl-1 (i: on <SERVERNAME>03)   FAILED    Aborted due to error in another component.

3’rd job also completed with errors(same ones).

One interesting thing i notice, is that the “Size of Application” seems to change.

Run 1: 1.36GB

Run 2: 1.11GB

Run 3: 1.65GB

That seems weird that a completed with error job is larger than the one that completes successfully.

Added attachment with logfiles requested. (1 of them rolled over so contains the last or 2 last backups only)

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

@Mike H Did the logfiles help any ?