Solved

Synthetic Full vs Full for SQL DB backup

• 29 April 2022
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +13

Hello,

Im looking for best practices about MS SQL DB backup with the following requirements:

• Full DB backup / per day
  • Log backups every 10’

I see from Command Center, that the “default” Plan is to have Synthetic Full, Incremental and Log backups.

Whats the best practice to start with? I was thinking to leave only the Synthetic Full backup once a day and the Log backup every 10’. And delete the incremental backup from Schedule.

Is this enough ?

Thank you in advance!

icon

Best answer by Damian Andre 29 April 2022, 13:19

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @Nikos.Kyrm,

The default plan in Command Center (or all agents schedule in the CommCell console) is generic for all agents, however the MS SQL agent does not support synthetic full or incremental backups. (you can see the matrix of supported backup types here)

In this case the synthetic full will likely convert to traditional full, and incremental equivalent for SQL is really just a transaction log backup.

Userlevel 2
Badge +13

Hey @Nikos.Kyrm,

The default plan in Command Center (or all agents schedule in the CommCell console) is generic for all agents, however the MS SQL agent does not support synthetic full or incremental backups. (you can see the matrix of supported backup types here)

In this case the synthetic full will likely convert to traditional full, and incremental equivalent for SQL is really just a transaction log backup.

Hi Andre and thanks you for your quick reply!

So, I guess the best way to go is through a Schedule Policy, with SQL Server Agent Type selected and proceed with “Full” and “Transaction Log” only.

No Differential and Synthetic Full backups, right ?

Thank you in advance!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @Nikos.Kyrm,

So, I guess the best way to go is through a Schedule Policy, with SQL Server Agent Type selected and proceed with “Full” and “Transaction Log” only.

Thank you in advance!

That will do it - you can do differential backups for MS SQL - that is supported too. You could also make a new plan just for SQL based backups in command center rather than going with the one-size-fits-all approach of the default plan

Userlevel 2
Badge +13

Hey @Nikos.Kyrm,

Thank you in advance!

That will do it - you can do differential backups for MS SQL - that is supported too. You could also make a new plan just for SQL based backups in command center rather than going with the one-size-fits-all approach of the default plan

Hi @Damian Andre ! Thank you a lot for your reply!

So, Im going to make just new Plans from Command Center!

One last questions, in case that want different plans for the same instance I suppose Im going to create additional subclients, split the DBs and assign them to different Plans.

From the general Tab of the instance, I see that is already assigned a Plan and the additional new Plans are assigned from me manually from the subclient level.

So, my question is that the Plans from subclient level overrides the Plan from General instance tab? (because this is what I want).

Best regards,

Nikos

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Nikos.Kyrm , that should be correct.  Can you confirm this is happening (or was this a general inquiry)?

Thanks!

Userlevel 2
Badge +13

@Nikos.Kyrm , that should be correct.  Can you confirm this is happening (or was this a general inquiry)?

Thanks!

Hello Mike, yes! I also marked it also as “Best Answer”.

The tricky configuration is through CommCell, but from Command Center is working out of the box!
Full backups are configured from Backup frequency RPO and Log Backups from Database Options.

Thank you in advance,
Nikos

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Not sure what version you are on, but the latest version 2022e adds additional possibilities to customize plan configurations.

Userlevel 2
Badge +13

Not sure what version you are on, but the latest version 2022e adds additional possibilities to customize plan configurations.

Im using 11.24 in our customers (because of Long-Term Support).

Thank you in advance Onno!

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

So once you feel comfortable to upgrade to 2022e than you will once again run on a version that comes with LTS support! Btw also FR26 added new options that allows plan to be customized so you can expect a lot of new customization options!