Solved

Update to the feature release 11.24.x

• 8 November 2021
  • 33 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello,

I have a Commvault backup server that has a version 11.20.0. Now, I woult like to upgrade Commvault backup server and clients to the version 11.24.0. Which is the recommended way to do it?

Thank you!

Best regards,
Elizabeta

icon

Best answer by Laurent 8 November 2021, 11:15

View original

33 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello,

@HolowEd ok, I understand.
Thank you very much all for help!

BR,
Elizabeta

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello,

Just to ask, I downloaded the maintenace release and now I have 89% disk space. Can I somehow remove it from the SoftwareCache maintenance release?
If not, is it a problem for CommServe server operation the disk usage is 89%? So far everything is ok, no problem right now.

Best regards,
Elizabeta

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

It depends on a lot of factors (and I’m sure the great @HolowEd will have considerations as well).

If the CS is also a Media Agent, or a client, or a proxy, there are times we stage things in the Job Results folder, so having a lack of space can become an issue, fast.

I would advise moving the software cache to a network share, or increase the space on the CS.  You’ll be happy you did!

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

@elizabeta 

As Mike mentioned there are a lot of things that can consume space quickly on a commserve. If you can add another drive to the commserve, then there are a few things, software cache, index cache, job results that could be moved to the new drive which would help free up space on the current drive. Yes things are working fine now but with very limited space on the drive where we are installed you could run into an issue.

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

Hello,

Im still don't understand 100% the Feature Release logic.

Currently, latest FR versions are 11.24, 11.25, 11.26, 11.28 with LTS to be the 11.24.
https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/essential/2619_platform_release_schedule_and_lifecycles.html

So, best practice is to keep using the 11.24 and proceed only with Maintenance Releases?

Best regards,
Nikos

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Nikos.Kyrm they made some changes when it comes to the release frequency and the naming of the releases. Anyway FR28 was marked as GA release earlier this month and is also a LTS release. based on feedback from other on the community I would focus on FR28 and skip FR24 if you are considering to go to that version. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

@Nikos.Kyrm they made some changes when it comes to the release frequency and the naming of the releases. Anyway FR28 was marked as GA release earlier this month and is also a LTS release. based on feedback from other on the community I would focus on FR28 and skip FR24 if you are considering to go to that version. 

@Onno van den Berg Thanks for your reply!

The FR 11.28 is the 2022E?

Currently Im in the 11.24 for 1,5 year, but Im not sure whats the best practice to proceed with FR upgrades. Keep the 24 or upgrade to next LTS?

And also, what’s the purpose of 11.25, 11.26, which have support for only a year?

Thank you in advance,
Nikos

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Yes, FR28 == 2022e.

I would recommend to go for FR28/2022e. There is no real best practices because a LTS release only means it will be supported for a longer period of time. The purpose of the intermediate releases like FR25 and FR26 is to release new functionality and to deliver enhancement and large improvements more quickly to customer, but starting with FR28/2022e this has changed from 4 to 2 releases per year.