Solved

WebConsole/AdminConsole not loading/working

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi,

We recently upgraded to FR20 and I can’t get the Command Center or Web Console to load.

I always get the same error:

TomCat is running fine. I restarted the services several times, and even rebooted the CommServe.

When I check the CVWebService, I receive the message: “Webservice is Running!”. So I’m not sure what’s happening. I found some Knowledge Base articles, but none solved the issue.

Has anybody else had this issue in the past?

Thanks!

Jeremy

icon

Best answer by Stuart Painter 10 March 2021, 19:00

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hey Jeremy,

Assuming these are on your Commserve, can you check the Commvault Log Files folder and open up WebConsole.log, adminConsole.log + WebServer.log and see if there are any errors present at the bottom of these files?

It sounds like IIS is OK (or at least running the app pool) for the web service based on what you’ve said.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi Edd,

Thanks so much for your answer. I checked the logs and found the following:

Webconsole:

1 03/09 10:02:43 WARN ServerBroker:getResponseAndHandleExceptions:464 - Invalid response returned: 500
1 03/09 10:02:43 ERROR DefaultHandler:sendPollRequest:249 - Web Service error: web service returned an unexpected response
1 03/09 10:02:43 ERROR DefaultHandler:sendPollRequest:263 - Web service status: RESPONSE_ERROR
9852 10 03/09 10:02:43 10.21.0.156 ERROR ServerUtil:initializeServerProperties:276 - Failed to load all server properties as an exception was thrown. Web service is not available: state=RESPONSE_ERROR
9852 10 03/09 10:02:43 10.21.0.156 INFO StatelessCookieFilter:doFilterInternal:83 - Requestsssted path : /index.jsp
9852 10 03/09 10:02:43 10.21.0.156 INFO StatelessCookieFilter:doFilterInternal:84 - exxclude urls : [/initOpenIdAuthFlow.do, /samlAcsCallback.do, /openIdConnectCallback.do, /appstore/appStoreLoginService.do, /consoleError.do, /emailrecall/endUserSearchEnabled.do, /sandbox/make_request.jsp, /addAction, /samlAcsIdpInitCallback.do, /addVisitor, /isSessionAlive.do, /SAMLSingleLogout, /httplogupload.do, /metrics/metricsUpload.do, /mobileLogin.do, /auditLog.do, /appstore/storeconfig.do, /remoteSAMLAcsIdpInitCallback.do]
9852 10 03/09 10:02:43 10.21.0.156 INFO StatelessCookieFilter:doFilterInternal:85 - landing remote url stateless : null
9852 10 03/09 10:02:43 10.21.0.156 ERROR AuthProcessorFilter:doFilter:70 - Re-throwing the exception from invoked method.
9852 10 03/09 10:02:43 10.21.0.156 ERROR UtilHandler:handleSpecialErrors:2199 - ***********Root Cause:
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Cannot call sendRedirect() after the response has been committed

WebServer:

0632 39    03/09 10:02:43 ### ### WebServerRoute::HandleRequest - WebException : The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.
10632 39 03/09 10:02:43 ### ### WebServerRoute::HandleRequest - WebException Stack Trace : at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
at CVInfoMgmtService.WebServerRoute.HandleRequest()

AdminConsole log didn’t really print anything useful.

From these logs, I can’t really make out what’s wrong.

__

Jeremy

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hey Jeremy,

Thanks for this! I’m now wondering if IIS is the culprit after all here…

Can you open IIS Manager and provide a screenshot of the application pools? For example:

It may be also worth doing the following:

1. Stop Tomcat service
  2. Perform a ‘iisreset’ in an elevated command prompt.
  3. Start Tomcat service
  4. Make a cup of tea/coffee (Takes a couple of minutes for the web service + tomcat to startup and be ready)
  5. Test
Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi Edd,

Thanks so much for your help!

Here is a screenshot as requested:

I’ll go ahead and perform an iisreset as you advised and see if it helps.

__

Jeremy

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hey Jeremy,

Looks like all the application pools are started so that’s good…

Next thing to check is make sure the applications are all present - could you expand the Sites and make sure we see ‘Consoles’? For each application (E.g. ProxySvC) make sure they are started:

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi Edd,

It looks like it running correctly:

I also performed the iisreset and cycled the tomcat service but unfortunately the issue remains.

Would I need to reinstall the Command Center and Webconsole components?

__

Jeremy

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Jeremy Checking internally, case history has a couple of examples of these errors you are also seeing:

1 03/09 10:02:43 WARN ServerBroker:getResponseAndHandleExceptions:464 - Invalid response returned: 500 
1 03/09 10:02:43 ERROR DefaultHandler:sendPollRequest:249 - Web Service error: web service returned an unexpected response ...
1 03/09 10:02:43 ERROR DefaultHandler:sendPollRequest:263 - Web service status: RESPONSE_ERROR

Please try repairing Dot Net Core Windows Hosting package, which may have become corrupt during the update.
Please run DotNetCoreWindowsHosting.exe (should be found in the Third Party folder) and repair the installation and let me know if that helps.

Thanks,

Stuart

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for your help!

I repaired the Dot Net Core Windows Hosting package. I also stopped the Tomcat service, performed a “iisreset” and started the service again. Unfortunately, I still have the same issue .

In the meantime I opened a case with Support.

Thanks again,

Jeremy

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi Jeremy

Thanks for the update, I’m sorry that idea hasn’t fixed it.

Please would you message me the case number so that I can track and share the solution in here once we get this resolved for you?

Thanks,

Stuart

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi Stuart,

Sure, the case number is 210309-310.

Thanks.

Jeremy

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Jeremy 

Tracking your support case, I’m pleased to see this is now resolved, so I’ll copy the resolution here for the benefit of the Community:

When checking the WebServerCore component, http://localhost:81/WebServerCore an error occurs:

The .NET folder under Program Files was missing the dotnet.exe binary.

.NET Core 2.1 uninstalled, a fresh installer downloaded from Microsoft Download .NET Core 2.1 and reinstalled.

IIS and Tomcat restarted, WebConsole is now up and running.

Thanks,

Stuart

Badge +4

Hello All;

I have similar prblem with webconsole but when i checking http://localhost:81/WebServerCore I have:

Badge +1

We had a similar issue and there was a rogue process stealing the port. 

Work Performed:
==============
Customer was able to login to the Webconsole and the Command Center but there was no data present.
netstat -anob > C:\temp\netstat.txt showed Tomcat was not using Port 80.
Found Branch Cache running.
Customer confirmed with his team that Branch Cache could be disabled.
Disabled Branch Cache.
Stopped Tomcat and reset IIS.
Webconsole and Command Center now showing data.  However, they are using HTTP.
Added Additional Setting  forceHttps = true.
Now Webconsole and Command Center are using HTTPS.
Customer removed an additional Binding in IIS for Consoles.

Badge +2

We had the same problem. When we tried to load the BaseURL in Chrome, we got the message "HTTP Error 502.5 - ANCM Out-of-Process Startup Failure."
I looked in EventViewer and saw that.NET Core was crashing because the SDK for.NET Core 3.1.25 was missing.
The problem was fixed when.NET Core 3.1.25 SDK (x64) was put in place.
Thanks for the help.