Solved

What types of data does CommServe receive?

• 19 January 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hello everyone, everything good?

I have some questions about CommServe. I understand that this solution is basically an index database and job summary.

And I have five questions about CommServe:

1- What types of data does it receive via the network? How big is the traffic?

2- What does the MediaAgent send to CommServe? Just the Job Summary?

3- What does the Commvault client installed on the operating system send to CommServe?

4- How is the communication flow? Who starts the backup job? Who is the first and the last to be informed? What are the communication stages and what is sent in each of them and where...

5- A backup interface (Layer 2 only) is required so that this traffic (MediaAgent and Client) does not impact the production interface or this traffic is negligible, to the point that I don't have to worry about it using Layer 3 on the interface of production?

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 19 January 2022, 16:44

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @Alexandre Oliveira , and welcome!

That’s a very broad question group, so I’ll do my best to answer here :nerd:

1. The Commserve itself generally only receives information regarding job statuses (did a job start?  did it complete?) so the database can be updated, and Job Management can continue.
  2. The Media Agent houses all of the backed up data chunks, and will advise the CS of these phase completions, and much of the metadata about the backup chunks (i.e. where to find the files to restore job 1234).
  3. The client will also advise on statuses and completions to the Commserve
  4. Generally, a job goes like this: Commserve checks to see if the client is online, then tells the Media Agent to connect to the client to start the backup.  After that is all done, the Indexing archive happens, and the CS marks the job as completed.  there is communication back to the CS to acknowledge each phase is complete/started (so the Job Controller can be accurate)
  5. It’s common for clients to have multiple interfaces, so their public data is separated from the backup network (I believe this is what you are asking).

Let me know if I can clarify anything!

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

What Mike said but just adding this to the thread for some basic overview and some additional info that might be of value to anyone searching.

Basic flow:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.25/expert/1601_commcell_environment_overview.html

Ports info:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.25/expert/8572_tcp_ports_used_for_services.html

Various other network info/tools etc

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/7068_network_overview.html

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Absolutely !

And even it would depend on what components you wish your Commserve to host. The more you setup on it, the more traffic/communication it would have (like MA, webconsole, index, reporting, etc..)

It also depends on how you adapt Commvault to your (or some customer’s) environment.

Some quick example : customer A has his own scheduler (like $U, CA-Autosys, or CA-Automic..) so all backup activity would be initiated by 3rd party scripts/tools, and not using Commvault’s built-in scheduler

Customer B has no scheduler, so all backup activity is configured and scheduled inside Commvault.

Activity, networking, and security could be very different between customer A and B, then.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

That's exactly what I needed to know. Thank you for the support and technical clarity in explaining the questions. @Mike Struening @Scott Reynolds @Laurent