Solved

When restoring an SQL database, how much diskspace is needed

• 21 January 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

When restoring a database into the SQL instance, how much diskspace is needed at the destination server?

I know that its a question about how large the database is. 

But if the database is at 10TB, will it be enough with 10TB of free space or will it need more space as part of the restore process?

I know that it’s a bad idea only to have the exact space needed available, so the numbers are just a theoretical.

So what is the proces behind the scenes when restoring a database?

Br. Tommy

icon

Best answer by Laurent 21 January 2022, 14:55

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi Tommy !

I think that before restoring the database, we need to know the way it was used to perform its backup.

With SQL ida , or intellisnap and/or VSA ?

Backup target is disk or tape ?

And backup is per SQL instance, or per SQL database ? ==> restore whole instance or just database ?

And now, regarding the restore, do you consider restoring directly to the instance/database, or to disk (then DBA restores from disk to SQL) ?

What I noticed from my expericence is that you’ll need quite a lot of disk space if you database is huge, especially in the commvault jobresult folder (or temporarily move that folder to some location with huge capacity), otherwise it could fill your disk during the restore.

I can’t find the article I had found where this was almost detailed, much more than my approximative memories here.. :sweat_smile:

Badge +1

Haha yes ofcouse. I forgot about all the different posibilities.

The backup is performed by SQLIDA, and the restore i directly into the instance.

The backup target is on disk.

The backup is done by pointing to an instanse and backing up individual database.

And yes I know the jobresult folder needs som diskspace, and I know that it was at least same amount of space as the database size. But I don’t know if that is still the case, and I can’t seam to find the answer on docs.commvault.

thanks for reply