Solved

Commvault client computers and group

• 29 December 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge +2

Hey guys,
There’s something I can’t really understand about the way ‘Client Computers’ and ‘Client Computer Groups’ are working.
Am I not supposed to see all of my clients under ‘Client Computers’ when adding a new one?
Why is it that some clients are only under one of the ‘Client Computer Groups’ and some are only under ‘Client Computers’ and even some are under both?

Thanks alot!

icon

Best answer by Stuart Painter 29 December 2021, 13:50

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @paragon 

Thanks for the question and welcome to the Community!

The “Client Computers” group contains a list of all clients in the Commcell, however there are filters that could be applied, for example to exclude virtual machines from the view - please take a look at CommCell Console - User Preferences - Client Computer Filter.

You can of course additionally create Client Computer Groups with either manual association or association based on a set of criteria (Smart Client Groups) where these groups will contain clients that match the specified criteria. Client groups allow you to apply configuration settings to similar clients, based on the association criteria used.

A client may be a member of more than one group.

For example, if your client naming convention prefixes clients with their geographic location, US, EMEA, APAC, etc. you could create a client group “EMEA Clients” for each region using rules like “Client name starts with”=”EMEA”, etc.

So, a Media Agent based in EMEA would be found in:

Client Computers

Media Agents

EMEA Clients.

Please take a look at Rules Available for Smart Client Computer Groups for a list of the rules and criteria available.

Thanks,

Stuart

Badge +2

Hi @paragon 

Thanks for the question and welcome to the Community!

The “Client Computers” group contains a list of all clients in the Commcell, however there are filters that could be applied, for example to exclude virtual machines from the view - please take a look at CommCell Console - User Preferences - Client Computer Filter.

You can of course additionally create Client Computer Groups with either manual association or association based on a set of criteria (Smart Client Groups) where these groups will contain clients that match the specified criteria. Client groups allow you to apply configuration settings to similar clients, based on the association criteria used.

A client may be a member of more than one group.

For example, if your client naming convention prefixes clients with their geographic location, US, EMEA, APAC, etc. you could create a client group “EMEA Clients” for each region using rules like “Client name starts with”=”EMEA”, etc.

So, a Media Agent based in EMEA would be found in:

Client Computers

Media Agents

EMEA Clients.

Please take a look at Rules Available for Smart Client Computer Groups for a list of the rules and criteria available.

Thanks,

Stuart

Thank you very much for the quick and detailed answer that’s exactly what I was looking for and did not even think of filters.
Now I am able to see all of my clients like I wanted.

when adding clients I used to get a ‘duplicate client’ error and just couldn’t find a full list of all of my clients.

Speaking of which, if you will. Is there a proper and easy way to migrate to duplicate clients?
For example file System Client and Virtual Server one?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @paragon 

I can understand what you mean by getting duplicate client error - create a new client when one with the same name already exists, which you can now overcome with a full list.

But I’m not sure what you mean by this part:

Is there a proper and easy way to migrate to duplicate clients?

Thanks,

Stuart

Badge +2

Hi @paragon 

I can understand what you mean by getting duplicate client error - create a new client when one with the same name already exists, which you can now overcome with a full list.

But I’m not sure what you mean by this part:

Is there a proper and easy way to migrate to duplicate clients?

Thanks,

Stuart

Hey,
Sorry I will try to make it clearer.
As I had duplicate clients of the same host I now have some hosts that have two clients.
For example Virtual_machine and a duplicate Virtual_machine_1

Is there are way to migrate between those two clients?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @paragon 

That makes sense now and yes, it’s a common problem.

Please take a look at these steps: VNU0001: Virtual machine client names are created with '_1' appended to the original client name

That will allow you to merge the client_name_1 duplicate with the original client_name.

Thanks,

Stuart

Badge +2

Hi @paragon 

That makes sense now and yes, it’s a common problem.

Please take a look at these steps: VNU0001: Virtual machine client names are created with '_1' appended to the original client name

That will allow you to merge the client_name_1 duplicate with the original client_name.

Thanks,

Stuart

exactly what I was looking for.
Thanks you very much again and happy new year!