Movinng Physical Server (Media Agent) from one location to another As Business Requested

• 30 October 2022
  • 1 reply

Badge

Hi Good morning Team,

In my environment we do have One Commserve two Media Agents ,

the Two Media agents are Physical Window Boxes each media Agent associated 250 Clients machines 

each media agent having separate Libraries with two dedicated Media Paths which are conneted to Cmode Netapp storage ,

now we have got request to move one of the media agent from current location to another location ( Lift and shift ) , so,as per my knowledge while lift and shift the media agent should be in maintenance mode and all the services will be disconnect from Commserve and start the movement , after reached the  media agent to destination location as per the location we need to change the IP as per that location and bring back to the up the machine , then we need to start all the services from commserve and media agents .

But still i need more steps to perform this activity as below so if you can help it may well and much appreciate 

1. before Moving what are the steps Follow ? 
  1. what steps should we do with Library  mount paths either from CV side and Storage team side ?
  2. . after reached the destination location  what are the steps i need to follow to  the media agent work as before ?
  3. is there any steps need to perform before moving the MA for DDB part?
  4. is there any modification need to do  all the storage things Like in DDB and library ?
  5. can we use the Old storage policies after  the movement done ? or do i need to modify anything for storage policies ?
  6. is there anything made changes in Index cache  ?

in this situation can we take Support from CV ?

please give me some more knowledge on this .

Thanks and Regards ,

Basha .P

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Welcome to the community @Vijo !

Assuming name resolution will still work, you should be able to put the Media Agent in Maintenance Mode, physically move it, then turn it back on:

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/8878_setting_mediaagent_offline_for_maintenance.html

If you run into problems, Customer Support can certainly help, though they aren’t equipped to perform the move for you (though Professional Services can help).

Regarding the Index and the DDB, are they physically located on the Media Agent?  Does the other Media Agent utilize these resources?