Solved

Why am I prompted to reboot the computer after performing a restore operation?

• 21 April 2021
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

I ran a restore on one of my Windows clients to confirm that my backups are working (they are!). However, it wanted me to do a reboot afterwards. Since this was a test, that’s not a big deal, but I want to know why it happened in case it is an issue with a live restore.

icon

Best answer by Edwin McLaughlin 22 April 2021, 00:21

View original

1 reply

Badge +3

After a file system or a System State restore, you may be prompted to reboot the computer to which the data was restored. This is because the data that was attempted to be rebooted was in use or locked by another process.

In such cases, the following is observed:

1. The file is restored into the same directory. For example, filename.txt would be restored as ~filename.txt~ in the same directory.
  2. An entry for this file is created in the PendingFileRenameOperations key in the registry.

At the end of the restore operation, the restore process will report to the CommServe that the system must be rebooted which in turn would display message in the CommCell Console to reboot the computer.

When the server is rebooted, Microsoft Windows operating system will overwrite the locked files with the temporary files created in the PendingFileRenameOperations registry key.

You may be prompted for a reboot while restoring System State components and the restore operation is not considered complete until the server is rebooted.

For more information on PendingFileRenameOperations, see Microsoft KB 181345.

For more information on a third party tool made by Microsoft that will show the pending files to be renamed, see Microsoft Windows Sysinternals.