Skip to main content
Solved

Duplicate VSA subclients for VMware

• 1 July 2021
  • 2 replies

Hello,

I would like to duplicate VSA subclient under VMware pseudoclient.

Based on Commvault documentation, I did the step of the following page: https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=106064.htm

Unfortunately, when executing the “qoperation execute -af clone_subclient_template.xml” command, an error occured, saying that VM tags are required to perform the subclient duplication.

Do you have a proper documentation link or XML template to duplicate a subclient and how can I manage the dynamic content based on VM tags?

Thank you in advance,

Best regards,

2 replies

Badge

The XML here is incorrect and looks like it would only support filesystem agent as it is on that link.

I’ve raised the request to get the XML updated to support virtual server agent as well. 

However there is an easy fix.

Download the clone_subclient_template.xml and update it with the “vmContent” tag into the XML like so:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?>
<App_CloneSubClientRequest>

<cloneEntity>
        <subclientName></subclientName>
        <backupsetName></backupsetName>
        <instanceName></instanceName>
        <appName></appName>
        <clientName></clientName>
    </cloneEntity>

<subClientProperties>
        <subClientEntity>
            <subclientName></subclientName>
        </subClientEntity>
        <content>
            <path></path>
        </content>

<vmContent>
<children equalsOrNotEquals="1" name="" displayName="" type=""/>
</vmContent>

</subClientProperties>

</App_CloneSubClientRequest>

Now the clone operation will work.

Example of usage:

in this case we want to clone subclient “Test” under the hyperv default subclient on virtual client “HV”.

The qoperation to create the subclient “TestClone” would be

qoperation execute -af clone_subclient_template.xml -cloneEntity/subclientName Test -cloneEntity/backupSetName defaultBackupSet -cloneEntity/instanceName "Hyper-V" -cloneEntity/appName "Virtual Server" -cloneEntity/ClientName HV -subClientProperties/subClientEntity/subclientName TestClone

This will create the cloned subclient but without any content.

To create it with the VM pattern of “2016” you could run the following

qoperation execute -af clone_subclient_template.xml -cloneEntity/subclientName Test -cloneEntity/backupSetName defaultBackupSet -cloneEntity/instanceName "Hyper-V" -cloneEntity/appName "Virtual Server" -cloneEntity/ClientName HV -subClientProperties/subClientEntity/subclientName TestCloneVM -vmContent/children/displayName 2016 -vmContent/children/type 10 -vmContentOperationType ADD

This would  add the VM Name/Pattern = rule to the subclient content

You could probably use any of the rules from the examples on this page

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=32416.htm

Although tag isn’t mentioned it seems to work as a Type “Tag”

I don’t have a vSphere setup to test, but did test this at the GUI level.

So to clone the subclient Test under the default backup set of the vmware client “1234”

and add the content Tag or Tag1 the command would be

qoperation execute -af clone_subclient_template.xml -cloneEntity/subclientName Test -cloneEntity/backupSetName defaultBackupSet -cloneEntity/instanceName "VMware" -cloneEntity/appName "Virtual Server" -cloneEntity/ClientName 1234 -subClientProperties/subClientEntity/subclientName TestCloneTags -vmContent/children/displayName Tag1 -vmContent/children/type Tag -vmContentOperationType ADD

This added the required Tag to the content.

To actually manage and update the subclient content, you should look at some of these pages instead

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=32371.htm

Hopefully this allows you to continue with your testing.

Cheers

Dave

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hello Dave,

Thank you very much for your answer, it is very well detailed and this allowed me to duplicate a VSA subclient easily.

Have a great day !

Regards,