Solved

Move Clients to new DDB Workflow - Source Storage Pools are 'blank'

• 14 July 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi

Has anyone experienced the ‘Source Storage Pools’ being Blank (or not displaying) when using the Move Clients to new DDB Workflow

I’ve checked permissions,

There are DDB v5 targets in place

and there are old classic DDB’s as ‘source Storage Pools’

I've tried from the JAVA GUI and also the Modern HTML5 gui

icon

Best answer by Prasad Nara 14 July 2021, 21:44

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @YYZ , generally when any field is blank, it’s because there’s no qualifying location available, other than what you already have.

What types of clients are you looking to move?  Is there anything about the clients in that group that require any special features or anything installed?

I checked our internal incident database and have not found anything with this behavior.  I’ll get some internal eyeballs on this as well!

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hello @YYZ,

Please note that this workflow is only usable on Storage Pools that have Horizontal Scaling enabled.

If your DDBs are only traditional DDB v5, they are not eligible for selection on this tool.

Can you please confirm you have Horizontal Scaling enabled?

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=11020.htm

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

I’ve tried two different CommCells (entirely different environments so far)

(I was on Chat with support - and asked whether any internal KB articles might have a clue)

Nothings special about the clients

But as I type -  a thought has occurred

1. I’m trying to move old classic DDBs to a DDBV5 with Horizontal Scalling Enabled
  2. I place a bet, that the Source DDB;s need to be converted to DDBV5 (vanilla)
    1. Before they can become a source to be converted to DDB V5 Horizontal Scaling

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

@Josh Perkoff Our Posts crossed in the ether  - Just seen your reply :grinning:

Reading it though - 

1. Horizontal Scaling is enabled at a global level (control panel / Media agent settings

I might have interpreted the various DDB workflows wrong:

If ‘all’ the old Policies and DDB’s are v1, v2 etc, then it sounds like there are no steps  to associate clients with a new Horizontally scaled DDB

’ie either directly

or via two step process of converting the old DDB to DDBV5 and then running the move clients workflow 

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

@YYZ DDB v5 and Horizontal Scaling are not the same operation.  The Version 5 DDB Workflow enables the Garbage Collection and Log Pruning behaviors to reduce bloat and increase performance.

Horizontal Scaling is an additional option that splits the DDB Engine into 3 sub engines, one for File Systems, one for Database clients, and one for VM clients.  An existing DDB will NOT be converted to Horizontal Scaling automatically even after this setting is enabled.  You would have to seal the existing DDB or create a new Engine Policy to make use of Horizontal Scaling.  If the DDBs in question are only v5 and not Horizontally Scaled (you would see 3 distinct engines under the DDB name in Storage Resources), you cannot use this workflow on them.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Josh Perkoff 

• I Have Horizontal Scaling enabled (via the Control Panel) 
    • For a given DDB Engine, I sealed an ‘old’ DDB (from V10 days) (with no pre seeding of the new DDB from the old DDB,
    • but the new DDB that was created did not have the 3 DDBS labelled Files, Databases and VMs created under the DDB engine
  • I only see the 3 DDB’s when I create an entirely new DDB Engine 

PS: I was tying Horizontal Scaling to V5, as I thought that V4 or V5 DDB’s may have been a pre-req for Horizontal scaling

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

After enabling Horizontal Scaling,

Before 11.23

1. All new storage pools (aka Global dedupe policy) will get 3 DDBs at the time of creation itself. 
  2. Existing storage pool will get 3 DDBs created only when existing DDB reaches system defined thresholds for Avg QI time and number of unique blocks. This is where you can use the move clients workflow to move clients associated with existing DDB to the newly created 3 DDBs. Workflow will show storage pools having this condition, existing DDB and 3 new DDBs. 

From 11.23

1. All new storage pools (aka Global dedupe policy) will get 1 DDB at the time of creation and other 2 DDBs will be created automatically as an when you run backups to more than one data type. Example: if you run backups to only Files then the first DDB will be used for Files. When you add any VM backups then VMs DDB will be created automatically. 
  2. Existing storage pool, the existing DDB will be marked with the data type of the first new subclient you add and then same logic of new storage pools will be applied here also. 
Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi Prasad

What is the process of taking an existing V1 DDB and transforming its associated ‘Copies’ and Associated Clients to become a Horizontally Scaled DDB, with the 3 Sub DDB s of VM, File and Database

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi Prasad

What is the process of taking an existing V1 DDB and transforming its associated ‘Copies’ and Associated Clients to become a Horizontally Scaled DDB, with the 3 Sub DDB s of VM, File and Database

Just enable Horizontal scaling feature from Media Management configuration parameters. Everything else will be taken care automatically. 3 sub DDBs will get created once the current DDB reaches system defined thresholds and clients will move to new DDBs based on the load on current DDB. Load balancing happens over the period.