Question

#12! getting added in xml (Save as Script of sql restore), is not legal for a JDOM character content: 0x0012 is not a legal XML character

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

so when i trying to get this information to a mail, i’m getting an error , how to fix or get rid of the xml encoding error.

I’m trying to fetch the path information for a sql restore to email (using workflow)

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@alligator , thanks for the post!  I have found a form ID (5186) for this issue.

Can you confirm the version of your Commserve?

I see it is in:

Thanks!

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

@Mike Struening thanks for the response

we are already at 11.28.19

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@alligator , apologies for the delayed reply.

If you are already patched up to that level, this is likely something else.

I would suggest opening a support case and sharing the number here so I can track it accordingly.

Badge

@alligator

Try to remove first | char from all <device> lines. I had similar problem and it looks very promising.

I had problem with Java:

String[] params = new String[2];
params[0] = "|SSISDB|#12!SSISDB|#12!data|#12!D:\\DATA\\SSISDB.mdf|#12!D:\\Program Files\\Microsoft SQL Server\\MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\\MSSQL\\DATA\\SSISDB.mdf";
params[1] = "|SSISDB|#12!SSISDB|#12!log|#12!E:\\LOG\\SSISDB.ldf|#12!D:\\Program Files\\Microsoft SQL Server\\MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\\MSSQL\\DATA\\SSISDB.ldf";
return params;

I got error:

" is not legal for a JDOM character content: 0x0012 is not a legal XML character.

<device>:

<device>SSISDBSSISDBdataD:\DATA\SSISDB.mdfD:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\SSISDB.mdf</device>
<device>SSISDBSSISDBlogE:\LOG\SSISDB.ldfD:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\SSISDB.ldf</device>

Then I deleted “|”:

String[] params = new String[2];
params[0] = "SSISDB|#12!SSISDB|#12!data|#12!D:\\DATA\\SSISDB.mdf|#12!D:\\Program Files\\Microsoft SQL Server\\MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\\MSSQL\\DATA\\SSISDB.mdf";
params[1] = "SSISDB|#12!SSISDB|#12!log|#12!E:\\LOG\\SSISDB.ldf|#12!D:\\Program Files\\Microsoft SQL Server\\MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\\MSSQL\\DATA\\SSISDB.ldf";
return params;

and got this Workflow working.

<device>:

&lt;device&gt;SSISDB|#12!SSISDB|#12!data|#12!D:\DATA\SSISDB.mdf|#12!D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\SSISDB.mdf&lt;/device&gt;&#xD;
&lt;device&gt;SSISDB|#12!SSISDB|#12!log|#12!E:\LOG\SSISDB.ldf|#12!D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\SSISDB.ldf&lt;/device&gt;&#xD;

But I have to verify all of my Workflows to be sure.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

@Roman i will check this by removing the “|” from the device information

are you saying #12! is not the problem here for this error?

Badge

@alligator I do not know. I was looking for solution all day long and I will check my workflows tomorrow (I’m from Poland) but this is very promising. My test workflow works like a charm now and database restored properly.

Check it and post the results. I will give feedback tomorrow.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

@Roman sure, let me also try and i will update here 

Thank you :)

Badge

@alligator I do not have good news. First pipe char in <device> key is crucial when restoring DB to different loaction (drive/folder). Without it I got 

Query Result [Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ExecutionFailureException:Directory lookup for the file "H:\DATA\IKB.mdf" failed with the operating system error 3(The system cannot find the path specified.). File 'IKB_UAT' cannot be restored to 'H:\DATA\IKB.mdf'. Use WITH MOVE to identify a valid location for the file. Directory lookup for the file "G:\LOG\IKB_1.LDF" failed with the operating system error 3(The system cannot find the path specified.). File 'IKB_UAT_log' cannot be restored to 'G:\LOG\IKB_1.LDF'. Use WITH MOVE to identify a valid location for the file. Problems were identified while planning for the RESTORE statement. Previous messages provide details. RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally. An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch.]. Source: restoresrv02v, Process: SQLiDA

But when the source and destination locations are the same WF works.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

I had opened a ticket with support for this

yet to hear from Dev team

@Mike Struening  221027-389 is the case ID# for your reference.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks!  If you hear anything, let me know (or I’ll update if I do first).

See ya later, @alligator !

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

@Mike Struening RETIRED 
Sorry for the late response on this thread.

Here is the update i received from support on this.

======================================================================

Can the customer try to use CommServDBQuery activity in which you pass the xml in as parameter and perform a SQLXML query on it to retrieve the value?

=======================================================================

This is the update that I received from support, and this works if the user who initiates the script is given with the required permissions.

this thread can be resolved.