Solved

Server Groups based on tag value

• 23 December 2022
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

I created a tag set in order to be able to create groups based their tag value, is this possible? 

I cannot seem to see a way to do it.

Clearly I am not getting the logic behind the tagging system.

icon

Best answer by Onno van den Berg 26 December 2022, 08:29

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@christopherlecky no, this is not possible. The tag feature is still under development and based on the FR28 release there are not that many cases I would think off in where this feature would be very beneficial other than searching. But I'm curious to learn and see what the vision is behind the tagging capability, because potentially it could be very beneficial capability.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

I think that’s kind of what I am trying to understand. 

Currently what I would like to do is tag a client with a group of properties.

For Example:

Agency

Dept

BillingID

and then I could something like create custom groups based on that value pairs and then apply policies based on those group memberships.

Strictly speaking you don't need value pairs to do this, but it allows building a framework that is visible by viewing the tagset.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

If these are all VMs then I would consider putting the tag on the VM itself on hypervisor level. This could be beneficial in the future for other tasks as well like for example billing or resource grouping. 

Putting the tag on the VM allows you to pull then into a server group using the tag. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

If these are all VMs then I would consider putting the tag on the VM itself on hypervisor level. This could be beneficial in the future for other tasks as well like for example billing or resource grouping. 

Putting the tag on the VM allows you to pull then into a server group using the tag. 

They may or may not be VM’s, do think that given the fact that tags have optional values we should be able to create groups based on tag:value combinations.

But again, I am not following the exact logic for the existence of tags.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@christopherlecky well you can do it natively, yet. they are still developing it. maybe @MFasulo can shine some light what we can expect in the future. for now what you could do/consider is to query the tagged object via the API and create or populate the groups through a script. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

No need, if they are currently cooking it up, they don’t need me harassing them. 

It’s good to know that it’s in the plan, I would still like to know what the logic is behind tagging. That way I don’t start abusing the feature.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

i had a similar query, on why we can’t have tag:value combinations, with the current tag/value feature.

i cannot filter anything by using the tag value.

I cannot create client group, i cannot filter clients using the value.

for ex: i want to tag a client with certain attributes

Tag:Application  Value : ABC

Tag:Region Value: X

For now i assume its not possible.

instead i have directly tag the clients/resources with the values, and value field being optional, i leave it empty

like Tag: ABC 

Tag:Reg-x

that way i can create client group

“Clients with tag” any in selection “ABC”

So for now i need to update this manually for almost 1000+ clients like this or are they any other options.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

i had a similar query, on why we can’t have tag:value combinations, with the current tag/value feature.

i cannot filter anything by using the tag value.

I cannot create client group, i cannot filter clients using the value.

for ex: i want to tag a client with certain attributes

Tag:Application  Value : ABC

Tag:Region Value: X

For now i assume its not possible.

instead i have directly tag the clients/resources with the values, and value field being optional, i leave it empty

like Tag: ABC 

Tag:Reg-x

that way i can create client group

“Clients with tag” any in selection “ABC”

So for now i need to update this manually for almost 1000+ clients like this or are they any other options.

I think it probably is an implication of whatever their tagging philosophy is, but tags really seem like an abandoned piece of work. It’s not present in the api documentation, there is no representation in workflows and it seems half done with the inability to create groups based on tags.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I totally agree! I'm also not aware what the vision and strategy is of the Commvault team in regards to the current tagging capability. Maybe @MFasulo can shine some light on this...