Solved

All-in-one Configuration installation

• 25 April 2024
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

I have a very small 5-7 servers/hosts (physical) to protect. I think its about 6-7TB. Have any of you ever installed Cmmvault as an All-in-One configuration? If so, what are some steps you would like to share? I can’t seem to find any link that will show how to do this. 

icon

Best answer by Javier 25 April 2024, 10:43

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @Jay Son ,

You can definitely do it. Just need to install both the CommServer and MediaAgent packages on the same machine. This machine will then take the roles of a CS and MA.

Checking the Hardware Specifications Documentation - The specs listed there are already considering the server is going to have the CS and MA packages installed;

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/hardware_specifications_for_commserve_server.html

Of course depending on the type and volumen of the workload you may need need to scale out from the minimum specs required.

Regards,

Javier

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

You can find some info here about the load for a all-in-one:

https://documentation.commvault.com/v11/essential/system_and_hardware_requirements_all_in_one_configuration.html

Badge +1

@Javier So, I assumed there was an option to select “All-in-one” somewhere in the setup.exe. I guess you’re just telling me to install the Commserve and MA binaries on 1 physical node and its now an “All-in-one” configuration, do I have that right?

I have a total of 5TB to protect (5 Windows servers total). Here is my hardware req. for Commcell:

1x Extra Small Media Agent per site

2 CPU cores, 16 GB RAM (or 2 vCPUs/16 GB)

OS disk - 200 GB (2 x 15K RPM min)

DDB disk – 200GB SSD or SATA

Index cache disk – 400GB SSD

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

HI @Jay Son ,

You are correct, you just need to installed both CS and MA packages within the same server to make it a All-in-on.

In regards to the hardware requirements, I am afraid yours won't meet the minimum requirements. Please refer to the details provided by @Ledoesp to confirm the minimum hardware you need to run an extra small setup with an All-in-one config

Badge +1

Thanks Javier.

It does not say “minimum requirements” or “extra small” in the article Leodoesp sent. Or are you saying that All-in-One Config will only work with the configuration below? I feel like its overkill. I compared this configuration with our other environment that have more that 100 VMs (no physical) and is NOT all-in-one config. Here is the Media Agent and Commserve

Media Agent
​​​​​
Commserve

https://documentation.commvault.com/v11/essential/system_and_hardware_requirements_all_in_one_configuration.html

In this configuration, all Commvault components (CommServe server, Web Server, Web Console, Workflow Engine, MediaAgent, and access nodes) are installed on a single computer. This configuration supports a combination of up to 25 servers, 250 virtual machines, 1000 Microsoft Office 365 users, or 50 million total objects indexed.

• Windows Server operating systems

• 16 CPU cores

• 32 GB RAM

• 2 TB of working space for the CommServe database, the deduplication database (DDB), index, and job results (SSD disk is recommended)

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @Jay Son ,

Of course the environment may work with lesser hardware resources, but the requirements listed in documentations are those that have been tested and certified by engineering. Having less resources available may and will inevitably lead to performance issues under certain workloads.

In the even of having performance issues, and a support case needing to be opened, support will initially highlight the hardware requirements and will not be able to progress the case any further until they are met.

Badge +1

Thanks Javier. The configuration in the docs supports “up to”. I will start low and increase, if needed. We are backing 5 physical servers backing up flat files.