Skip to main content

I know I should remember how to do this but I’ve failed to find the BoL doc which speaks to this objective. For a long time we’ve only done selective fulls to tape. Can someone remind me or point me to the directions for moving away from the selective fulls to “if the associated clients did an incremental last night, copy the incremental changes to tape, and if the client had a synth full run, copy that to tape as a full” -- in our case weekly synth fulls, no SILO of course. Does this require 2 separate aux copies in the SP? I don’t necessarily care about keeping the weekly full jobs on separate media, I’d actually just like to keep filling them day by day and have them age off accordingly.

thanks

Easy to miss, @downhill !

the reason is that you can’t ‘convert’ a Selective Aux copy to a Synchronous.  You need to create a new copy.

This link shows the various Aux copy types and provides an overview.

To get right to it, here’s the Synchronous Aux Copy directions.

Ah, yeah, it’s been a while. I am not familiar with the “pool” option so much. So basically it will write anything that comes into that copy by way of association to said pool or library, and will combine inc’s and fulls onto the same media without needing special media for each backup type?

thanks

Sorry, I copied the wrong link (and updated my previous post)!

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=118966.htm

All you need to do is right-click the Storage Policy and create a new copy.  Select Synchronous and you’ll get an exact copy of the Primary’s jobs to the library you select with the retention you configure.

There are a lot of sub-options you can utilize which is why there are multiple methods (pools vs libraries is one of them).

As for the media types, etc. you don’t need to do anything other than make sure the library/destination has plenty of space/tapes as needed.  Commvault does the rest….no need to separate media or anything like that :nerd:

Thanks, I knew it should be easy, just hadn’t ever done it that way.

Glad to hear it, and thanks for questioning the link….pasted the wrong one by accident :rofl: