Skip to main content

I have a Physical server running server 2016 and got the question to restore that server to a earlier state. Does anyone know how that is done in Commvault ?

The server has full system and data backups. I know how to do VM restores but restoring a physical machine was never done.

The restore should be done on the same physical server. Is this even possible ?

Hi @Rafael 

Thank you for the question and welcome to the Community!

You can perform restores with Restoring Data Using the Windows File System Agent.

If you want to revert the system back to a previous state, please check out:

Restoring System State Components Using the Windows File System Agent.

If you need to restore the machine to other hardware, then this would be an out-of-place restore or to perform a physical to virtual conversion and restore to a new VM, check out Virtualize Me.

Thanks,

Stuart

you can use the 1touch iso to boot the system, and restore from 1touch

Agreed, 1-touch is another way. However, if the system is operational though, then there is no need for 1-touch, as you can simply perform the restore through the Commvault user interface.

1-touch becomes useful if the system is offline or you plan to restore to dissimilar hardware.

As @Stuart Painter mentioned, Virtualize Me is a way to perform physical to virtual restores. It will automate the creation of the VM and perform the restore. This is also good way to ‘try out’ a restore in a sandbox sort of way, especially if you are not sure on the best point in time to restore to.

Agreed, 1-touch is another way. However, if the system is operational though, then there is no need for 1-touch, as you can simply perform the restore through the Commvault user interface.

1-touch becomes useful if the system is offline or you plan to restore to dissimilar hardware.

Yep, that’s why I wrote “to boot the system” :grinning:
It’s also usefull if the system is a VM, and you don’t have access to the hypervisor directly. (for example if you are a customer, and you use cloudstack)