Question

retain backup data not in storage policy job

• 12 July 2024
  • 1 reply

Hi All,

• subclient SUB1 with VM1 use storage policy P1
  • storage policy P1 retention 7 days 1 cycle with disk library DL1
  • manual execute subclient SUB1 backup on 2 Jul 2024 successful
  • 12 Jul 2024 we check storage policy P1 > View > Jobs, unselect time range but cannot see the job history subclient SUB1 backup on 2 Jul 2024
  • 12 Jul 2024 right click subclient SUB1 > Backup History, can see the backup job on 2 Jul 2024
  • check Storage Resources > Libraries > DL1 > Mount Path > View Contents, can see VM1 backup data on 2 Jul 2024 not Aged 

Q1: why the storage policy P1 cannot see the the job history subclient SUB1 backup on 2 Jul 2024?

Q2: since the Storage policy P1 cannot see the job history subclient SUB1 backup on 2 Jul 2024, if create aux copy and select Backup period Start and End Time 2 Jul 2024, will data copy to tape? If no, how to copy VM1 backup data on 2 Jul 2024 to tape?

Best regards

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Chinchilla,

You are likely using the Version 2 Virtual Server Agent.  If you’re unfamiliar, the process flow for a V2 VSA backups goes something like this:

1. The Virtual Server subclient initiates a Parent Backup Job ID which acts as a workflow for triggering backups for each of the VMs defined in the subclient.
    1. This Job ID does not contain the backup data, as this is really more of an administrative job which spawns child backups for each VM.
  2. A child backup job is then spawned for each VM defined in the subclient content.
    1. These child job IDs are what actually contain the backup data for that VM, and these are the job ID’s that you’ll find in the Storage Policy’s Job History.

Here’s an example from my lab.  Here we have a Hyper-V Version 2 Virtual Server agent job that is backing up my domain controller.  If I view the Job History of the Virtual Server subclient, you’ll see the latest Job ID [303539] with an Operation type of [VM Admin Job]:

If I go to the Job Details > Virtual Machine Status tab, it will show each of the VMs that were backed up by that Admin Job, and it will list the [VM Job ID] for each Virtual Machine that’s been protected.  This is the “child job” that was spawned by Admin Job ID [303539], and this is Job ID that actually contains the backup data for my protected Virtual Machine:

Job ID [303543] is the job that we can expect to be displayed when viewing jobs on the Storage Policy - not the Admin Workflow job ID that you see when viewing the backup history of the Virtual Server subclient:

​​​​

I expect you should see the same if you look in your environment. 

Regarding question 2 - assuming that you do see the VM Job ID listed in your Storage Policy, then yes you can absolutely expect that this will get aux copied.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

-Brian Bruno