Question

Connect to CommServe Server Behind a Firewall During HSX Setup

• 7 April 2024
  • 4 replies

Badge +5

Hi Team, please help with below query,

our commserv server management interface and HSX RA nodes DP interface are in different VLAN and there is firewall in between.

we have commserv server management interface in VLAN 10 and data interface in Vlan 20. Also the DP interface in HSX RA nodes will be in VLAN 20. so when we initially set up the HSX RA nodes, and we provide the FQDN/management IP of Commser server in HSX RA nodes,  for registration to the existing commserv environment. based on below provided link, we have to run some additional configuration since there is a firewall in between.

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/connecting_to_commserve_behind_firewall_during_setup_01.html

my question is , we have to run some commands as per steps in above link, so where do we run these commands as part of additional configuration, is it inside HSX node ? should we do these additional configuration before installing HSX ISO in nodes or after installing ISO and Setup the network steps ? i see final step in additional configuration is to “Verify CommServe connectivity from the HyperScale node”, i wonder how is this possible since we dont have ISO installed yet in the HSX nodes ?

Thanks in advance!

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello @Noushad 

Thanks for the great question!
In regards to the article you listed all the commands are to be run on the HS node’s.

Can you advise what steps you are having issues with specifically and I might be able to help you out further

Kind regards

Albert Williams

Badge +5

@Albert Williams 

Thank you for the response !

since we will be running these commands on HSX nodes, i wonder at what stage of the initial set up we should run these commands on HSX nodes ? do we run these commands after ISO installation on HSX nodes ?

As per steps mentioned in  Setup the network, we provide the FQDN , username and password to register with existing commserv server, so before reaching this stage of initial set up, should we have completed running additional configuration commands in HSX nodes to allow traffic between nodes and commserv server via firewall in between ?

As per steps given in below link, we run additional configuration commands required for firewall before the setting up installation media step, so it got me thinking how can we run commands in HSX nodes when there is no ISO installed in nodes yet ?

after installation media is set up, then only we go to the step of set up the network, where configure networking and commserv registration in HSX nodes.

https://documentation.commvault.com/2024/expert/preparing_environment_hyperscale_x_reference_architecture_setup.html

Thank you in advance !

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello @Noushad 

I would say once you have setup the HSX nodes from the OS and software perspective you will then get it to reach out to the CS and perform that setup. It should be done close to last in the setup of the servers as the CS is going to push lots of configuration out to it and we want to make sure the server is in a good state to receive these. 

Kind regards
Albert Williams

Badge +5

@Albert Williams 

So it means, i need to run firewall related steps after installing the HSX OS in nodes and it will be before commserv registration step, correct ?