Question

Backup metallic operation

• 28 February 2024
  • 4 replies

Hello experts,
I have a question about O365 backups on metallic.
When creating a plan, it is not possible to define whether the backups will be full, incremental or differential.
How does commvault Metallic work with backups? 
One full per week and X incremental?

Kind regards
Max

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi.

The backup works on an incremental forever basis protecting the data that currently resides in the O365 applications.  We try to run 2-3 backups per day depending on the amount of data that needs to backup.

Any data that is deleted from the O365 application is then retained based on the Plan settings.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Hi akirby !

Thank you so much for your your very quick reply.

it helps me a lot 

regards,

Max

@akirby I have a last question.

If an incremental backup failed in the miffle of the backup chain we could maybe lost some data.

A full backup can prevent this action.

In our case if we backup on SMTWTF if on Thuesday my backup is corrupt , next backups for exemple on saturday can be used ?

Kind regards,

Max

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Max

The backup scans the data during every backup for any changes so any data that was missed/unavailable during the backup is collect in the next job. You will see the data that no longer exists in the source as inactive.

All data is CRC checked during the backup so there should be no corruption. The process is described here: https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/cyclic_redundancy_check_crc_validation.html

We also see in the logs that if any data is marked as corrupt or similar the access is blocked by Microsoft processes.

Cloud Commvault indexes the backups enabling the ability to create a full point in time restore from any backup.  So the concepts of full and incremental are not required for O365. 

If a file is corrupt you are able to restore a different version from the browse.

I hope this helps.

Regards