Skip to main content

We recently began onboarding our Office 365 products to being backed up in Metallic. As I understand, Teams data is stored in SharePoint (Team Files), OneDrive (one-on-one group chat files), and Exchange (hidden folders associated with the chats/teams/channels).

I would like to know, is Metallic uniquely storing this data separate from the other Office 365 products, or is it pointing to the data in the other products? So if we loose the data from a team, could it be reconstituted from the data that Metallic backs up from the other products, without having to specifically backup a that team? Obviously it would probably be much easier to simply restore the team itself rather than rebuilding the team from data, I am just curious if this is something that is possible.

Hi,

Not sure how you would “rebuild” this from the other O365 products unless MSFT has a way to do this?

Essentially Metallic O365 backups will backup all contents within the selected users/teams/sites/mailboxes. Teams may be pointing to files in OD or SPO but how would you know what was pointing to it from Teams without having Teams?

Hi 
When you will examine the permission needed for the team agent t to work you can get a hint of the different source of information it needs to go to collect the team data. Application Permissions for the Azure App for Teams (metallic.io)
When the restore is done it will rebuild the team for you and run similar process in a reverse order 

Just mind the fact that the team posts will show as posted by the service account and not the original user who posted them. this is the limitation of restoring the data using the API given to us by Microsoft. there is a way around it is using the restore as HTML, see screenshot below.