Solved

Hyper-V Cluster setup

• 27 April 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I see in the docs that Metallic VM backup supports Hyper-V hosts and Hyper-V clusters.

But I have not found in the docs how to set up a cluster.

Ex.

Do I load the Proxy on all nodes, and Metallic figures out which node to use for which VM?

We are planning a demo, so there is no trial and error and previous knowledge of Metallic VM setup.

(We are using the Office365 backups only at this point)

icon

Best answer by Ronnie Kaftal 15 May 2022, 19:30

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi 

You will need a gateway on one of the nodes of the cluster. Please see here https://docs.metallic.io/metallic/127164_system_requirements_for_hyper_v.html

The gateway should be able to backup any VM if the VM resides on a clusteted shared volume storage. 

If you have VMs on standalone hosts than that will call for a gateway on that host. 

You can find more info on the planing guide on the classic Commvault document site 

Here https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/31370_deployment_planning_for_microsoft_hyper_v.html

Hope it helps 

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Thanks @Ronnie Kaftal .

Looks like I have a lot more reading to do before I demo/test this out.

I’ll read the docs as if the Commvault “VSA Proxy” is the same as the Metallic “Proxy Server”.

he gist I have so far is:

1. Load on all nodes.
  2. Use the Cluster name for the client.
  3. One cluster member host will backup all of the VMs on CSVs regardless of whether iSCSI or CIFS mounted.

Actually, number 2 above is iffy.  The Metallic docs (Guided Setup for Hyper-V 10 and 11) say:

Download and install the proxy server software on the Hyper-V host that you want to back up.

Enter the fully qualified domain name of the server that you want to back up, and then click Submit.

If I install on three nodes (in order to still backup if a node is down) would I register the cluster name 3 times, or would I register each hostname 1 time?

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I set up a demo for Hyper-V cluster backup.

I configured a proxy on both hosts.

I used actual FQDNs.

First backup was fine, I set up job to run on Host A which had the VM running on it.

Second backup failed.  The job keeps trying to run on Host B.  (The VM is on host A)

The Error is “Failure Reason     Virtual machine [XYZ-USAH1-VM02] disks are not accessible. Ensure that the access node (VSA proxy) can read the source VM disks.”  and the client is listed as Host B.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

HI

If the backup run once and are not running any more than we need to observe the logs. 

I would recommend raising support ticket for this case and see what support produce. Metallic support is also accessible via the chat window on the metallic hub at login.metallic.io. The pleasant thing about SaaS is that they can troubleshoot it easier than a disconnected environment. 
It would be interesting to learn what they found.
Thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Steve-O , did you end up solving this one?  I’m not seeing any cases in your name for the issue.

Thanks!