Skip to main content

Hello my dear Community!

I have a question from a customer for which I honestly can’t answer. If a customer is using let’s say 10 TB of Air Gap Protect to protect all his VMs, and he decides to release the license on one of his VMs, and let’s say that that VM is consuming 1 out of the 10 TB, will releasing the license also reduce the AGP consumption? Or will it stay exactly the same? I know there is dedup and all, but lets say that this VM actually has 1 TB of unique blocks out of that 10 TB. Will it decrease the license usage but still keep the data for the retention?

I would believe it’ll stay the same but I want to confirm. In Commvault Core, when you release a server that uses FET license, it does release that capacity back right away. I want to know if it does the same in Metallic.

Thanks in advance.

@Carl Brault 

For Metallic: 

At first, Please check which kind of license you have to back up the VM. If you release the license then the below license will get free.

https://docs.metallic.io/metallic/subscriptions_for_backup_recovery_saas_for_vms.html#viewing-the-subscription-usage-report

When you say about the Capacity consumption then the Deduplication concept is same as Core. Releasing the VM license will not impact on the capacity consumption.

For example: If you are deleting 500GB data then you can’t expect 500GB back on your capacity.

In Core the FET license usage works in a different way:

- Licensing mechanism will look for latest Full/Synthetic Full job for each Sub-client to calculate the capacity. If you delete the latest one, the one before this will be used to calculate.

- Check the license summary report and look at the details (break down) to find out what sub-client consumes most then you can view the job history of that Sub-client to check the trend.

- Disable backup activity on Sub-client will reduce the capacity usage. but you will not be able to run the backup on that once disabled.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts @Navneet Singh !

Really appreciate!