Solved

On-Premises MA to Metallic Storage (via Express Route)

• 31 August 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Hi All.

We are looking to configure a secondary copy from on-premises into Metallic storage. We’ve had storage provisioned by Metallic and this storage has been added into CommServe successfully and is showing as Ready.

Now, to avoid impact to our Internet connections, we are will be using a different WAN connection, and have a supportive network design established to carry the data across our secure WAN and eventually ingress into Metallic via an Express Route.

I am aware of this article https://documentation.commvault.com/v11/essential/145407_configuring_azure_expressroute_and_private_link.html which has helped us understand what is required to permit connectivity from our Azure virtual network across to Metallic.

The query I do have however is:

After the cloud storage is added as a Library and assigned to Media Agents - I see there isn’t really any further configurables to ensure data is written actually honours the network path/routing we desire it to take. I would have expected a DNS name somewhere - as this is how the Azure Provider Endpoint to the storage is configured.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

icon

Best answer by Mohit Kshirsagar 1 September 2022, 08:51

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi @AuRiSmith 

Have you reviewed this use case - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/expressroute/expressroute-optimize-routing#suboptimal-routing-from-customer-to-microsoft

Thanks,

Mohit

Badge +1

Okay, thanks for that Mohit

So essentially there is nothing on the Commvault side to influence this. No DNS name, nothing - in order to ensure that when Metallic Cloud Storage which is added, Media Agents in the datacentres honor a network particular network route (With the help of DNS, as assumed by the Commvault article and Private Link configuration).

I’ll raise that with our network team instead and see what they can do.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi @AuRiSmith 

That is correct. Since the source is your datacenter and destibation is Metallic the routing rules in your datacenter willl send data to metallic over express route.All public DNS names used by Metallic will resolve to Azure IP addresses as Metallic is powered by Microsoft Azure.

Thanks,

Mohit