Solved

Question about my VMware job

• 12 April 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hello,

I would like to ask you advice on my VMware backup Plan.  I took this over from someone else and have been reviewing it.  I have a local storage archive for 90 days and online for 7 years.  I have 8 revolving recovery points being backed up.  The under RPO the backup frequency shows run incremental every 24hrs.  Under Database options the RPO is every 4 hours for log backup and full backup every 3 weeks.  My main concern is the incremental job every 24 hours.  I’m new to Metallic and want to make sure that this configuration is recommended and enough.  I know the engineer helped set all of these plans up so I think it may be fine but I want to be sure.  Thoughts??

icon

Best answer by Michael Mancino 13 April 2023, 00:10

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi @Blue Collar ,

Thanks for reaching out on the Metallic community!

Typically, yes a 24-hour incremental schedule fits the needs for Virtualization backups, as it allows you ability to recover within those 24-hours, or recover files as needed  

Database backups typically run more frequently (transaction logs) as there are always frequent changes to the database, it also allows for a playback recovery  

Let me know if you have any further questions as well be happy to assist. Additionally, if you’re new to the Metallic SaaS Platform, I would suggest getting acquainted with your Customer Success Manager as they can always assist in ensuring the configuration meets your needs  

Thanks,

Mike

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi @Blue Collar 

Thanks for reaching out. 

The best practice for backing up virtual machines is to perform daily backup of VMs and add in-guest agent based backup for granular recovery.

The daily VM Backups can be used for DR events or if there is a need to restore an entire environment for dev/test purpose.

The agent baed backup provide protection agains accidental deletion of your files or data in your application and recover them quickly without the need of restoreing the entire VM. 

Restoring entire VMs can take longer vs restore files or application using the agent.

So based on your RPO and RTO requirements you can tune the backup frequency further.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Looks fine,

daily backup for VMs and DBs is enough in most cases, transaction log backup for databases each 4 hours seems fine too. These are default values, suiting most purposes. If it’s something ultra important frequency can be adjusted.  

Please remember that incremental or differential backup for database is something different than transaction log backup.

Please remember that transaction log backup works only SQL databases set in full recovery mode. Databases in simple don’t support t-log backup Recovery Models (SQL Server) - SQL Server | Microsoft Learn.

From Metallic SQL job history, you will be ablet o see SQL transaction log backups and SQL incremental/differential ones. After checking t-log backup from job history at “Database status” tab you will be able to what exactly was protected. Alternatively full/simple recovery mode can be checked at SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS).