Skip to main content

In Metallic , if we are backing up only teams channel data then it seems that same data is also there in sharepoint.

Because , at the backend its stored in a SharePoint Site created for that.

Can somebody confirm this ? if we stop backing up teams channel then we can restore the same file from SharePoint also, provided we don’t need “Posts” backup.

Hi

You are correct the data coudl be addressed twice as part of hte backup of Teams and SharePoint.

To avoid this, and keep the TEAMs backup I would exclude the TEAMs data from the SharePoint backup.  There is an option for this under the custom categories:

Always ensure that you are including the excluded data in the TEAMs backup so no data is missed.

I hope this helps.

Andy

Hi

You are correct the data coudl be addressed twice as part of hte backup of Teams and SharePoint.

To avoid this, and keep the TEAMs backup I would exclude the TEAMs data from the SharePoint backup.  There is an option for this under the custom categories:

Always ensure that you are including the excluded data in the TEAMs backup so no data is missed.

I hope this helps.

Andy

Thats great !! but can’t we stop teams channel backup completely? becuase we are not backing up user chat ( being paid API) and we dont need channel posts backup

Hi

I hope this helps.

Andy

Thats great !! but can’t we stop teams channel backup completely? becuase we are not backing up user chat ( being paid API) and we dont need channel posts backup

Hello,

Teams' channels are hosted at SharePoint all the time. Basically, whenever you create a folder or file via Teams, it’s placed at SharePoint directly.

If your goal is only to protect the files, folders and “core” Teams structure SharePoint backup might be adequate. - SharePoint Online (metallic.io)

If additional e.g. chat level backup is required, then Teams can be used. - Teams (metallic.io)

If your SharePoint CompanyName\ABC hosts Teams channel 123 and both SharePoint ABC and Teams 123 are protected with separate jobs, then the files are protected twice and you can exclude e.g. teams files from SharePoint level backup. 

You can compare what’s available in each backup and then decide which level is more convenient to company needs. 

We are protecting Teams files only at the SharePoint level, this scenario meets our needs and SharePoint level backup seems to be faster.