Skip to main content

ok, so I’m trying out activate - file storage optimization, with a tenant admin user.
I gave the tenant admin the data controller permission on the index server & of course on activate.
The tenant admin can create the plan just fine, but the ‘inventory’ part is a problem.
If I click add inventory , I can fill in the name, I can select the index_server, but the name server...nothing is there in the drop down box (if I just press save without name server, nothing is being created.
Any idea what I’m missing? 

Hi @Bart 

Thanks for the question.

Checking documentation Completing the Guided Setup for File Storage Optimization, step 4c suggests there is a plus button 134648.png to add a name server:

1. On the Add Inventory tab, create a logical group of assets in your CommCell environment:

1. In the Name box, enter a name for the inventory.

2. From the Index server list, select the Index Server to use for the inventory.

3. From the Name server list, enter or select the domain to use for the inventory.

Note: To add a name server, click the plus + button.

I know you have highlighted some Command Center interface issues previously with some text difficult to read, do you see the plus button on the page?

Thanks,

Stuart

The screenshot above is the complete entry regarding the nameserver. You can see that there is only the arrow down with the text 'no data available' .and no plus button available on that page.

Note : before I started with the activate,iv updated to 11.22.27 which should contain the fix for command center "unreadable" buttons.

@Stuart Painter ok, some trial & error actions from my side :)
From the file storage optimisation → Add file server you cannot add a name server. (AFTER you did the intial wizard, skipping the name server).
you can only select it. So there is no + there.  
This means you first need to add a new name server “manually”, not within activate. (not a big deal, as soon as you know it 😛 )

But may I ask another question? Why is a name server required? We have customers without name servers, and I don’t see any reason why they  cannot use “file storage optimization” without a name server?

Hi @Bart,

Thanks for the questions.

The Name Server in Activate is used to set the domain for security assignment and SSO. Setting a Name Server will allow Activate to automatically populate available server and user information by allowing the indexing service to integrate with AD to get required information.

It should be fine to not set a Name Server, but you will then need to manually assign servers to the inventory as I believe you found in your testing.

Let me know if your experience differs from the above.

David.