Solved

"App size to copy" vs "App size copied"

• 6 December 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Hi,

sorry to bother, hope you can help me to better understand the data displayed in this graph.

How can the “App Size Copied” be bigger that the “App Size To Copy”? Does this mean that data were copied that were not meant to be copied when the Aux Copy size was estimated?

Thank you for you time

Gaetano

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 6 December 2022, 16:05

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @Gaetano , great question!

When an Aux Copy runs and deduplicates, streams do not deduplicate against other currently running streams.

What that means is that whatever jobs are assigned to streams, say, 1 and 2, which may have similar data, are not going to be dudplicated against each other while they are running.

Subsequent jobs WILL dedupe against those, and eventually, things settle a bit, but the overall impact is that the sizes won’t match at any given moment.

Let me know if that helps!

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Hi @Gaetano , great question!

When an Aux Copy runs and deduplicates, streams do not deduplicate against other currently running streams.

What that means is that whatever jobs are assigned to streams, say, 1 and 2, which may have similar data, are not going to be dudplicated against each other while they are running.

Subsequent jobs WILL dedupe against those, and eventually, things settle a bit, but the overall impact is that the sizes won’t match at any given moment.

Let me know if that helps!

Sure it helps, it is just me to be novice!

Can we say that App Size To Copy refers to the data that is expected to be copied due to the size of the primary copy while App Size Copied is the data actually transferred by the jobs? This would mean that Media Size Copied is the space finally occupied by the copied data.

How far am I from the truth?

G

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

You’re right at the truth 😎

You have it all covered and understood!