Solved

Assignment of VM's to Companies

• 22 December 2022
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

We are currently testing how we want to redesign our environment. We have started to use "Companies" in our test environment to provide a self-service portal for customers. 
All this has worked quite well so far. All that is missing now is the assignment of the VM's from the vCenter to the Companies. We have set up a tag in our vcenter called DBA. We also created the same tag in the Command Center under Manage -> Tags. 
We also used the Tag function in the subclient to include the VM in the backup. It did not work so far that the VM is automatically assigned to the Company.
Have we made another mistake here?

Kind Regards

Thomas

icon

Best answer by Onno van den Berg 4 January 2023, 23:59

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

This can be done using a feature that is only available for servers groups who are created from Command Center or through the API, so it can be automated very easily. This feature allows you to group the systems per hypervisor tag and by setting the right scope you can make them visible to the specific company alone.

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Hi @Onno van den Berg

I looked at this but couldn't find the part about how to assign the tags I found to one of the Companies. Could you maybe explain me this part a little bit more ?

Kind Regards

Thomas

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

The tags are assigned by the hypervisor outside of Commvault. The only thing that you configure within Commvault is the population of the server groups via tag discovery. Commvault can pull the tags from the VM resources, so the server group is created in the context of the company and the automatic assignment rule, which leverages tags, is applied. Do mind you have to create the hypervisor on Commcell level! This will make sure that users within the company cannot manipulate the server group config. An alternative could be to create a hypervisor per company, but this comes with a lot of administration and automation. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Configuring the hypervisor on CommCell level will introduce multi tenant RBAC issues, I would prefer a hypervisor pseudo config per company where each hypervisor speudo specific service account in vsphere is limited to certain objects.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Configuring the hypervisor on CommCell level will introduce multi tenant RBAC issues, I would prefer a hypervisor pseudo config per company where each hypervisor speudo specific service account in vsphere is limited to certain objects.

The issue of multi-tenancy issues has been addressed with the introduction of scopes and we are using it for a few years now without any issue or tenancy leak, but I agree that creating the hypervisor within the boundary of the company is always better. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Hello @Onno van den Berg

ok, thank you very much for the feedback. I will go through the tags issue tomorrow with a colleague in our test environment. Is it also possible to assign the VMs to a plan with the help of VMware Tags ? So one tag for the assignment to a company and one for the assignment to a plan.

Kind Regards

Thomas

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Yes, you can use hypervisor tags also as part of a VM group configuration which assigns a plan to a group of VMs. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Hello @Onno van den Berg

we tried here last Thursday with the tags from VMware to automatically assign the backup to the companies. Unfortunately, we did not get any further here. 
We are missing the information where we have to make certain settings in order to automatically assign the VM's to a plan and a company when they are discovered. 
Can you help me here again or do you need more detailed information such as screenshots?

Kind Regards

Thomas

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

We have been able to solve the problem. Thank you for the support

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Sorry for not coming back to you, but good to hear that you managed to fix ti!