Solved

Block Change Tracking

• 16 February 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Dear sirs,

I appreciate your valuable help with the following: how could I activate "block change tracking" and I would also like to know if this is a property of the databases or commvault.

icon

Best answer by Gowri Shankar 16 February 2023, 22:07

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Could you be more specific as to what you are referring to? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @FeRox 

Believe you are referring to block change tracking with oracle agent backups.

This is a oracle level configuration which enhances the incremental backup performance.

For more detail please refer → https://docs.oracle.com/database/121/ADMQS/GUID-3BAA0D48-CA35-4CD7-810E-50C703DC6FEB.htm

Let us know in case of any other questions.

Regards,

Gowri Shankar

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

@Aplynx  Thank you for your response.
My question is what considerations should I have to enable "block change tracking" in oracle database policies.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @FeRox 

Block change tracking is a Oracle level configuration 

For more detail please refer → https://docs.oracle.com/database/121/ADMQS/GUID-3BAA0D48-CA35-4CD7-810E-50C703DC6FEB.htm

Block changing tracking improves the performance of incremental backups by recording changed blocks in the block change tracking file. During an incremental backup, instead of scanning all data blocks to identify which blocks have changed, RMAN uses this file to identify the changed blocks that need to be backed up.

You can enable block change tracking when the database is either open or mounted. This section assumes that you intend to create the block change tracking file as an Oracle Managed File in the database area, which is where the database maintains active database files such as data files, control files, and online redo log files.

Let us know in case of any other questions.

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Thank @Aplynx and @Gowri Shankar  very much, you have been a real help, blessings.

Badge +1

I have a question regarding this change. Once the "block change tracking" is enabled, I must first execute a full online copy?. I mention this since it was enabled and now when we execute it the speed is still slow.