Question

Changing the Hostname for an existing Network Gateway configuration

• 14 April 2024
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 4

Hello Commvault Community, 

If the environment is already configured with Network Gateway (and it works) and I want to change the Hostname of the intermediary module itself (Proxy/Network Gateway), should I do it somehow differently than changing the Hostname for other components in the environment?

Changing the Host Name of a Client Computer
https://documentation.commvault.com/2024/expert/changing_host_name_of_client_computer.html

I'm asking because I performed this procedure and on the Network Gateway module itself, the Hostname was changed, but on every Client that is indicated to communicate with the Commvault Infrastructure through this Network Gateway module, it wasn’t changed and the IP address is still displayed, even though it was changed to the FQDN address.

Additionally, I performed "Push Network Configuration" operations on each group that belongs to this Network Topology configuration.

The change in the laptop properties in the "CommServe Hostname" field indicates the IP address of the Network Topology module, but in the "Network Summary" there is an entry for the IP address and FQDN address and the same in "cvfwd.log", it shows both the IP address and the FQDN address.

Should I wait a while for it to refresh or do something else to make this change visible?

Thanks in advance,
Kamil

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi @Kamil,

It may help to show us the exact content that’s written to network summary.  However, if you are seeing both the FQDN as well as an IP address, that suggests that you might have DIPs (Data Interface Pair) configured for that client.  That would be configured in the Advanced client properties in the Job Configuration tab.  Any DIPs entered here will be reflected in the network summary (and forces the endpoints to communicate using that specific network interface).

To answer the original question, the modification of the hostname should be done just like any other client, and you were correct in your thinking that you would need to Push Network Configuration afterwards, since that updated hostname would need to be pushed to the FwConfig of any clients that need to create persistent connections to it.

In any event, if the IP address of that machine has changed as well as the hostname, you will either need to update or remove any DIPs configured as well, and then subsequently push the Network Configuration to any Topologies that leverage that gateway client.

Thanks,

-Brian Bruno