Skip to main content
Solved

Commserve LiveSync Set up

• 17 December 2021
  • 1 reply

hey all  - quick question.  I have a few customers that are running a physical media agent at alternate data centers.  Can I install the Commserve and Failover package on these media agents?  I see this in documentation, but I’m not sure if I have to re-install the media agent into the same instance?

If the MediaAgents must be available on the CommServe, then it must be installed in the instance in which the SQL Server agent and the CommServe Failover packages are installed.

Wouldn’t my media agent just be independant of the failover commserve?  or do I add the Commserve failover to the existing instance001?  In both cases, there is no infrastructure at DR to build a separate virtual server.

Thanks

Melissa

Hi Melissa,

You cannot add the Commserve after the fact to an existing client as the Commserve must always be instance 001. If I’m understanding correctly the goal is to setup the existing physical media agent in each site as the active/passive Commserve with Commserve LiveSync

- Uninstall the Commvault software from the Media Agent
- Install the Commserve as instance 001
- Install the failover instance as instance002 and use the client name previously held for the media agent

Kind Regards,
Sean