Skip to main content
Solved

Commvault Air Gap Implementation

• 3 December 2021
  • 9 replies

Hello Commvault Community!

I would like to ask you and reassure you about the "Commvault Air Gap" configuration.

Exactly I mean configuring "Creating Secondary Worm Copies" - should it be for the previously created "StoragePoolAirGapped" policy, or maybe for the already existing Storage Policies regarding server copies?

In the attachment I am sending the instruction which we use.

Thanks&Regards,
Kamil

You’d want to use the Air Gapped Pool you created in the previous step:

1. Enable Use Global Deduplication Policy and select the Air Gapped Global deduplication policy from the previous section.

Hi @Mike Struening :) 

Thank you for your confirmation, I thought so, but I preferred to be sure.

I have one more  question about the "Terminating the Persistent Tunnel" option. I understand that this should be scheduled for an hour that coincides with the end time of the previously set "Air Gapped Operation Window"? For example, If I set a daily Operation Window between 8: 00-12: 00, so I set the schedule that disables Commvault services to 12:00, also triggered every day? I understand it well?

I understand it well?

Regards,
Kamil

I think you have it, yup!  You can shut it down during the operation window to limit the access as well.

Hi @Mike Struening 

Thank you for your answer.

I would like to ask you one more thing, because I noticed that the copy did not start. What exactly triggers it? From the entire manual I remember that I only set the operating window, but nothing about the start time of this secondary copy, which should make a full copy of the existing copy of the data.

Should I add schedules to it on my own?

Thanks,
Kamil

Yeah, you still have to schedule it normally.  The other items like the operation window, etc. are just extras to make it more secure.

@Mike Struening ,

Hope the last question from me.

Should I create a "Data Protection" copy type and create a separate schedule for each agent type, assigning to them clients from the "Air Grapped Isolation CommCell Group" group, or should I create a "Backup Copy" schedule and choose the "StoragePoolAirGrapped" policy? What will be a better practice in this situation?

Regards,
Kamil

Questions are good, my friend!

the types you listed are different things:

• Data Protection schedules are for Primary backups.
  • The Backup Copy schedule is for a backup copy (like intellisnap).

If you are looking to schedule the Aux Copy, then you’ll need an Aux Copy schedule.

Check them out here:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.25/expert/6752_creating_auxiliary_copy_backup_copy_or_content_indexing_schedule_policy.html

@Mike Struening 

Thank you very much for your help, everything is explained!

It's hard for me to choose the best answer, because they were all helpful, so I will leave this element for your assessment.

Thanks again!

Regards,
Kamil

Appreciate the conundrum!

I usually mark the more generally applicable post as the best answer.  The goal there is that the next person looking can find the answer quickly, so any specific-to-your-needs answer is likely not what they want (though they can always dig on down)!