Commvault Environment - Windows or Linux ?

Userlevel 2
Badge +13

Hello Community,

Im reading articles / threads about pros and cons of Windows & Linux Servers, for your Commvault Environment.

But let’s see, what’s the real winner?

Which OS it based your Commvault Environment?

13 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I always recommend people use the OS they are most familiar with.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

But in all seriousness, I think @MFasulo nailed it. There will be specific business requirements that may dictate which OS you roll with - but if given unlimited choice, you want to pick the one you can most confidently manage.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

It’s completely based on your business requirement @Nikos.Kyrm. I would ask you to go with one which you’re familiar with. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

I think we spice this up and ask which Linux distro is the best…

Badge +1

We have migrated from an IBM Spectrum Protect (TSM) environment to Commvault with a Linux Commserve and it seems like every day there is another fire we are having to put out with Commvault by applying some diag.

Where we know it will get there it’s become very frustrating.  We went with Linux (RHEL) for the security aspect

Userlevel 2
Badge +13

It’s completely based on your business requirement @Nikos.Kyrm. I would ask you to go with one which you’re familiar with. 

@Arunkumar P  That’s the best answer!

Although all our customers here in Greece, have their Commvault environments in Windows Servers (most of which are in Azure).

Userlevel 2
Badge +13

Hello to all @Damian Andre@MFasulo @Scott Moseman@Arunkumar P@Libi 

In case you have MediaAgents with Windows & Linux OS (mix combination) in a single CommCell, it is a good idea?

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

no problems with mixed, in fact its beneficial for to have both as you can use the windows MAs to fill many of the gaps of linux CS.

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Hello to all @Damian Andre@MFasulo @Scott Moseman@Arunkumar P@Libi 

In case you have MediaAgents with Windows & Linux OS (mix combination) in a single CommCell, it is a good idea?

There’s no problem if you want run both Windows and Linux MAs.

Thanks,
Scott

Badge +1

I came back here to add we have had nothing but problems since we upgraded our Linux CommServe  from 11.28 to 11.32. Our system has been unstable since upgrading 6 weeks ago. We have applied

3 diags, upgraded from 11.32.43 to 11.32.45, today we are sitting on a call for over 3 hours with Commvault trying to determine what is causing our environment to lock up and stop working. 

We have to actually power down the VM in order to get everything working. 

My advice is if you can stay on 11.28.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

This poll will be lopsided towards windows because the Linux version is relatively new and would therefore most likely show up on new installs.

Personally if given the option I would go with Linux, its just far more flexible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@christopherlecky Why is it more flexible if you run it on Linux? 

I personally would still pick Windows and the reason is just because support for Linux is still fresh/new. In addition there are still some constraints when running it on Linux.

@Libi it is a pity that you are running into so much troubles. Curious to hear more about the issues you ran into and the fixes that were applied.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

@christopherlecky Why is it more flexible if you run it on Linux? 

There are a ton of reasons, but what it boils down to is that I find Linux tools for any kind of maintenance, troubleshooting, logging etc to be more robust.

There’s also the bonus that in many orgs you don’t have as tight controls around things like patching, gpo, antivirus, cloudstrike etc. 👎🏾

essentially it has a bunch of standard windows exceptions baked in.

I haven’t worked on it in the wild, just spun it up locally and found I liked it a lot.

There may be some linux bias in there, but its mostly around the transparency in the OS.