Skip to main content

Hi All,

We are in the process of decommissioning the on-prem media agent server. After decommission we won’t have to backup any clients and the new server which we are going to build is for restores. The new server needs to be build in Azure.Currently we have on prem backups to disk library for 30 days retention and AUX Copy backup which runs every 60 mins to AWS Deep Archive. In order to prepare the new server for restores till date, I have done the following, but got stuck with some questions, Please assist me in completing this task.

1. Built a new Windows Server in Azure
  2. Installed CommVault Media Agent Server with the same build as the on-prem server 11.20.85

Ques : Should we move DDB of AWS to new Media Agent Server?

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/11078_move_ddb_to_new_mediaagent.html

Should we copy the Index Cache?

Copy the contents of the index cache directory from the old MediaAgent to the new MediaAgent.

Can i ignore the disk library backup to new media agent server as we are assuming that the AWS has latest backup for any future restores?

How should i test the VM restore or file restore before decomm the old media agent server?

I am confused, if you are using the newly provisioned ma for restores only, where are the backups going?

copying the DDB and index cache is unnecessary as the index information is stored with the data, and the destination should have it’s own DDB which should have all the same information as your primary DDB.

That said, once your decomm the existing ma where will new backups go?

Hi @christopherlecky 

We have moved our infra to Azure and the backups will be taken care by Azure and hence we don’t need CommVault to backup any thing going forward. As i said earlier that AUX copy backup to AWS deep glacier runs every 60 mins now. The new Media Agent server built in Azure is only used for restores we don’t need any backup of any clients from now on.

Please suggest your inputs

OH, then you don’t need to move the index or DDB. 

The DDB is only needed for incoming data essentially. 

The indexes are stored in the index cache for performance reasons, the indexes are also stored with the backup data. 

you should promote azure copies to primary and be sure their retention is set correctly.

Then simply delete the local storage policy copy. This is assuming your only have one storage policy, but you should do the same for all similarly configured storage policies.

@christopherlecky , So with the current install of the new Media Agent server in Azure i should be able to perform VM or file restores without backing up any of the DDB, Index Cache ?

How can i test my file restore from the new media agent server by powering off the old media agent server. Please advise

Once you delete the local copies, it will just work.

While both copies exist you will have to specify the copy, media agent, and data path.

Once the copies are deleted it will just work.