Skip to main content

HI all,

I am oracle DBA and new to CommVault. 

Currently, using oracle RMAN with ( RMAN catalog DB) to backup all oracle database to tape.

Management want to ditch RMAN and use CommVault as a standard Oracle backup tool.

I have read CommVault documentation, to backup oracle db, an Oracle Agent has to be installed on the Oracle DB server.

My question, without using RMAN/RMAN catalog, how does Commvault keep track of multiple database incarnations of an Oracle Database in the case DB needs to be restored to a past point before the resetlog 

e.g.

1. DB been flash backed to a pt in time in the past and thus need to open resetlog ( new incarnation). 
  2. an incomplete restore performed on the DB and thus need to open resetlog ( new incarnation)

@admdlee The Commvault Oracle iDA uses the Oracle RMAN API to back up the Oracle database. So almost everything which is valid for RMAN is valid for the Commvault Agent.

Example: You would like to use a RMAN catalog? Just do it.

Hi @admdlee 

During oracle backup commvault stores the backup piece handle names (metadata) in commvault database on the commserve. In a scenario where you need to restore data from a previous incarnation you may either restore a control file before the incarnation or use the existing controlfile and change the incarnation manually from oracle level.

In case if you already have a repository catalog configured in your environment, could you continue using the same catalog db by using the option mentioned by @Ralph 

Let us know in case of any other questions.

Regards,

Gowri Shankar

@Ralph @Gowri Shankar Thanks for your input.  Currently, we are using RMAN/RMAN catalog DB to backup Oracle databases. 

@Ralph I have realised the ‘use catalog connect’ checkbox, once I installed the Oracle agent have the instance registered, do I have to create a new RMAN catalog in order to use the ‘use catalog connect’ option. ?

If an existing RMAN catalog can be used with ‘use catalog connect’, will CommVault sync the existing backup information in the RMAN catalog with the the CommVault metadata database ??

@admdlee Thank you for the update.

You can continue to use the existing catalog db.

Once catalog connect is update on the instance properties go to the sub-client properties → Advanced tab and Options (sub tab) and select Resync recovery catalog and perform a backup

This will execute resync catalog at the end of the next backup.