Question

Commvault working in Isolated Recovery Envoirnment with shared mount path read only to MCSS

• 11 April 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +4

Hello Community !

I opened this case to get some knowledge about Commserve Disaster Recovery process in the scenario when two the same commvault instances will work in the same time with the same MCSS cloud library connected to them.

We have prepared the IRE (Isolated Recovery Envoirnment) - it is a network isolated vDOM solution (Fortinet) where we will perform a restore operations for few of our production systems (in the scenario when we lose entire old infrastructure). The IRE envoirnment and production envoirnment cannot see each other (we will use the same IP Addresses/hostnames for restored production systems in IRE).

The first step is to restore the Commvault system from DR backup inside the IRE (with the same IP and Hostname, but with different hardware CPU/RAM). Next we will stop the scheduler and put old Media Agent in maintenance mode. Then we will share the Metallic Cloud Storage Services library mount path to the freshly restored Commserve in IRE (we will install Commvault+MediaAgent All In One inside the IRE) - but we will use Read only option. Then we will perform few restores from Commvault in IRE using the Metallic Cloud Storage Services shared library.

And here are my questions:

-Is it a good idea to let two Commserve’s with the same CCID to access the Metallic Cloud Storage Services Library? (the original one will have Read/Write access to MCSS, and freshly restored Commserve in IRE will have Read only permissions). If not - would you recommend different configuration to achieve what we need? (maybe we should disable the Read/Write mount path on original Commserve to avoid data changes inside the MCSS?)

-Commvault license on production backup will still work well after new Commserve in IRE appear?

Maybe some of you had a similar case before? I will be grateful for any help.

Regards,

Matt

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Good afternoon.  Two different CommCells will not be able to access the same Metallic storage.

Badge +4

Hello Orazan,

Actually it will be the same CommCell but duplicated and isolated.

MCSS will be accessed by two different Media Agent’s - one with Read/Write access and second with Read Only access - we want to achieve it using Mount Path Sharing funcionality. I have tested this with standard Azure Cloud (for now I cannot test it with MCSS, because I don’t have any) and it is working as expected.

Regards,

Matt

Badge +4

Ok, so I think the only way is to stop the Aux from source Commcell and even disable MCSS library to avoid problems with restores on Commcell in IRE.