Solved

Configuring Exchange on-prem to allow CV backups of public folders

• 1 November 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Hello everyone,

We still have a few public folders running on Exchange on prem and we recently upgraded from Exchange 2013 to 2019.  I’ve tried to configure backup but am getting:

No service account(s) found for public folder processing. Please assure that a service account is assigned a malibox association with owner permissions on the root and subroot public folders in order to proceed with public folder operations.

This looks to be an Exchange issue.  Is there documentation anywhere that shows the steps to configure Exchange?

Thanks

Ken

icon

Best answer by Albert Williams 1 November 2023, 23:36

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello @Ken_H 

Thanks for asking this question, the following goes over the steps to provide the service account permissions to enable protection of Public folders: 

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/28840_assigning_full_access_to_service_accounts_for_on_premises_exchange_servers.html

I would recommend going over all the steps here and if they have been followed but the issue is still present a support ticket would be the next step. 

Kind regards

Albert Williams

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Thanks for the recommendation.  We’ve followed the directions from the link provided but as still getting “28:516 No service account(s) found for public folder processing.”  Sigh, time for yet another support ticket - my 53rd so far this year. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

The new exchange servers didn’t appear within the client list in the Java GUI or under servers within the Command Center.  I tried installing the Exchange client via the Command Center and now CommVault thinks this is a physical server which has pushed me to 100% of my operational instances licensing. 

The good news is that exchange backups are running - thanks @Albert Williams

The bad news is that I’m at 100% of my operational instance licensing so I can’t add the second node of the DAG to CommVault.

Request to CommVault staff:  It would be really nice if there was step-by-step directions on how to configure backups like this.

Badge +1

Hi Ken_H

did you find out solution please ? i get the same error - No service account(s) found for public folder processing. Please assure that a service account is assigned a malibox association with owner permissions on the root and subroot public folders in order to proceed with public folder operations.
Source: exch01, Process: CVMailBackupCoordinator

Thanks Pavel

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

I don’t really understand what Exchange public folders are or how CommVault backs them up and without that understanding my recollection is that I was shooting in the dark trying different things.  To the best of my recollection I used the Java Console to: 1) Add the two servers of the Exchange 2019 DAG (Database Availability Group), 2) Added a “DAG-2019” client that referenced the standby node of the DAG using the same account that had access to the old Exchange 2013 servers, 3) Used the DAG-2013 as a source, completed the configuration of DAG-2019.  

I wish I could offer more details but, as noted in my comments above, I needed to open a support ticket with CommVault to get the help to ensure this was done properly.  It was CommVault support that completed the configuration after I’d added to the two nodes of the DAG as clients within the Java Console.

Ken