Solved

Data Aging after changing the client name and moving to another client group

• 28 April 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

I renamed several clients last year, moved them to another client group renamed the client name and display names but the data has still not aged off..

My question: is the reason its not aging due to the client and display rename ?

icon

Best answer by gary mcneely 28 April 2021, 16:40

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Almost forgot I disabled the client as well

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Hi @gary mcneely 

Thanks for making this post, data aging is something that tends to be a somewhat common concern and while there can be many reasons there is a few common culprits.

Your name change and client group modifications won’t alter the retention, and that’s a good thing! we wouldn’t want to accidentally prune data just because the name changed if you didn’t expect it to!

• The best way to determine why any job is not meeting retention is to navigate to reports > forecast report (also referred to as Data Retention Forecast and Compliance Report) 
  • Within this report leave the settings default on the first tab and second tab
  • On “Library/storage policy” set this to either the storage policy copies in question or the library in question then hit ok
  • This report will list all jobs within the selected storage policy copies or libraries starting from the oldest at the top for each one
  • You can search for your job id in here and it will detail why this has not yet met retention
  • You mentioned that you disabled backup activity thus you will likely see the report state basic_cycles as your reason for not meeting retention
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
  • You can re-enable backup activity on this client if you wish to continue running backups
  • Alternatively if you no longer wish to retain these jobs or run any backups for these machines with the intention to permanently remove them and their data you can
  • Retire the client with intention to eventually remove it
  • Manually delete specific jobs from the client:
  • We don’t generally advise to manually delete jobs as we advise to configure an ideal retention for your needs where this will be automated as new backups run however the option is available if you need to manually remove data permanently for certain jobs.

Here are some additional helpful resources:
https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=11921.htm

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=11977.htm

Explanations of the reasons for not meeting retention can be found here:

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=11966.htm

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

As you have advised you disabled the schedule, my gut feel on the information provided is that cycles are not being met. 

For data to age it must meet the storage policy rules for days and for cycles. If you have stopped the client from backing up anymore no more cycles will be created and thus will not be met and the jobs will be retained. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

A DRFC (Data retention and Forecast report) is going to answer all your concerns. identify the job Id and look for the column ‘’Reason for Not aging’’ and you will know what to do next. :)

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Thank you, the DRFC (Data retention and Forecast report)  showed me the reason.