Skip to main content

@Mike Struening 

Just wondering if there is a dirty way of installing in decoupled mode and like adding the “sCSHOSTNAME / sCSINTERFACELIST” FQDNs of CS to the .properties file in /etc/CommVaultRegistry/Galaxy/Instance001/CommServe 

Any idea on this 

thanks 

Hi @Sebbo , I moved this to its own thread for better tracking.

I know it’s possible as I’ve had to do it myself over the years to fix something that went wrong, though it wasn’t part of the planned process (this was 15 years ago).

It’s not really an ideal method.  What’s your end goal on this?  Might be a better method for you!

Hi Mike,

due a mixed environment with VM / Baremetal we wanted to push the Filesystem agent to all of the Windows / UNIX clients in a decoupled mode.

Moastly VMs will be backed up with the virtual server but might additional use eb SQL, MYSQL agents in addtition… on demand. For baremetal we wanted to have the client in the default Installation and add it tho the CommCell on demand.

So adding the clients “agents” will only be on demand. We just need to make sure only dedicated Commcell FQDNs are allowed to connect to the agent and backup/restore data.

What about using App Aware VS backups to cover any installed apps?

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/essential/106254_performing_application_aware_backup.html

noted, but this wount count to all my installations like MYSQL, ORACLE RAC… anyway the OS teams wanted to deploy the Package in the whole environments ( Physical and Virtual )

Good point…..so App Aware won’t work.

So essentially, if you install agent in the template, you’d need to edit the name per new vm for its own unique name.

Is that about right?

I’ll add in some other internal folks once I confirm I under stand the challenge and the proposed solution accurately :nerd:

@Mike Struening

Yes correct. The Agent will be installed in decoupled mode and all the individual settings ( unique name.. ) will be adjusted when adding the clients. 

eg decoupled deployment of

• 10.000 agents.
    • 9500 will be on Virtual Agent backup  → Virtual agent backup
    • 250 will be bare metal   → add as Commvault Filesystem Agent ...
    • 250 will be VMs but Application aware backups are needed  -→ add as Commvault filesystem

with Linux Sattelite & Microsoft SCCM

I just need to make sure the 9500 “non agent added” VMs are not open for all Commcells in the environment. So when installing in decoupled mode we need to make sure only CS1.abc.123 is allowed to connect and backup to the agent

Let me confirm for you, @Sebbo .  Will need to confer with a few folks :nerd:

Hello @Sebbo 

In this situation, you can always create a client group that already has the Additional Settings needed for the specific clients. That way, when you run the SimCallWrapper to register the client, you can just include the Client Group that has the Additional Setting enabled. 

Once the Registration completes for the client, it should be added to the Client Group and inherit the Additional Settings of the Client Group:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/2121_registering_client_using_command_line.html

Please let me know if this helps!

-- Chuck

Hello @Sebbo 

In this situation, you can always create a client group that already has the Additional Settings needed for the specific clients. That way, when you run the SimCallWrapper to register the client, you can just include the Client Group that has the Additional Setting enabled. 

Once the Registration completes for the client, it should be added to the Client Group and inherit the Additional Settings of the Client Group:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/2121_registering_client_using_command_line.html

Please let me know if this helps!

-- Chuck

Hi @Chuck Graves ,

but this requires to register the Client against the CommCell. Before this happens “every” Commcell would be allowed to register the Client, this is what i want to prohibit.

I just want to install it decoupled, leave it in this state until a “allowed” Commcell registers it 

thanks

@Sebbo , I’m talking to some internal folks to see if we have any options.  It might end up being best to open a support case and request a CMR.

@Sebbo , I’m talking to some internal folks to see if we have any options.  It might end up being best to open a support case and request a CMR.

Morning Mike,

just wondering if you got some feedback. Really appreciate your help

Hi @Sebbo , apologies for the delay!

Go ahead and open a support case for this one.

Share the case number here so I can track it.

Hi @Sebbo , apologies for the delay!

Go ahead and open a support case for this one.

Share the case number here so I can track it.

Hi Mike, let me check with our consutant next month what he suggests for implementation, maybe he can give a hint on that also . Keep you updated , cheers