Question

Defragging mount paths on Windows MediaAgent

• 22 April 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge +1

I just got done with the Foundations and Professional training for Commvault (5 days) and we talked a lot about disk and library maintenance.

My largest disk library is hosted on a Synology Disk Library, connected via iSCSI to a Windows Media Agent. 5 of the disks on there are 100% fragmented, as reported both by Commvault Analysis, and the Windows Defragmentation Tool.

My question is there a way I can take one mount path offline at a time to perform the defrag? Is that recommended? Under mount path properties, I see the Enable Mount Path option under status, but the bit about stopping the DDB from referencing blocks on the mount path scared me.

I also saw the Device Enabled setting, and thought that may be the way…

Otherwise, under the Mount Path Allocation Policy, I saw I could prevent writing to the mount path for new data, which is also an option…

I had disabled the entire library and ran a defrag on ONE of the 100% fragmented disks, and it was still running 24 hours later, so I wanted to find a more “behind the scenes” approach as backups started queuing up waiting on the Library to become available.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Mark

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

I would not worry about defragmentation if your mount paths support sparse files.  We generally do not recommend running Windows defrag, instead you may want to run a space reclamation job.   Here is a link to a post discussing the topic: