Solved

Derivated Plan and Storage Destinations

• 21 June 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hello!

Just started with Plans and have a question regarding storage part in derivated plan.

I created a “Base”Plan to derivate other plans from. I enabled override restrictions to required for storage and optional for the rest. When I create the derivated plan I add new storage detsinations, primary and secondary, abd generate the plan. 

In the Plan there is now 3 storage destination, the snap shot Primary copy wasn’t previously shown. Since it’s inherrit the settings it’s pointing to the wrong storage destination.

Can that be changed from CommandCenter to either correct storage destination or deleted or do I simply have to delete it from GUI, if possible and recommended?

BR

Henke

icon

Best answer by MFasulo 27 June 2022, 15:26

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hello @Henke 

Thank you for using Commvault Community! I haven’t found a way to do this using Command Center, however, you should be able to modify the Data Paths of the Storage Policy Copies (associated with the plan) using the Commcell Console:

You can remove the Snap Copy from the Commcell Console as well, which I was able to do in my lab environment. In the Command Center, you can just use “Add” to add new Copies to the new destinations.

Please let me know if this helps!

Chuck

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

@Chuck Graves Thank you for the answer,

However I am not able to change the path since there is no other MA having access to it, It’s a local disk library.

For the moment I don’t need the snapshot policy, but maybe in the future.
I think the only way of doing this is to delete it as per your suggestion, but as I read recommendations on not tampering with plans from the GUI side I’m not sure if it is a good thing to do.

Since you are the PLAN guru @MFasulo do you have a recommendatioon for me? This must be a bug that the change of storage destination isn’t considerng the snap shots.

Best Regards
Henke

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

@Chuck Graves Thank you for the answer,

However I am not able to change the path since there is no other MA having access to it, It’s a local disk library.

For the moment I don’t need the snapshot policy, but maybe in the future.
I think the only way of doing this is to delete it as per your suggestion, but as I read recommendations on not tampering with plans from the GUI side I’m not sure if it is a good thing to do.

Since you are the PLAN guru @MFasulo do you have a recommendatioon for me? This must be a bug that the change of storage destination isn’t considerng the snap shots.

Best Regards
Henke

Couple of things here:     What release is this?   I ask because in CPR2022e (11.28), when you derive a plan, and you change the primary copy library, it should update the snap primary.   Based on what you said, this doesnt appear to have happened (and you know i just tested this 😀 )

Today, you cannot change a primary/snap primary target.  If you have a snap secondary, there are further visual cues (greyed out) on the paths on the plan.  

I never recommend tampering so lets figure out why the derived didnt inherit the primary storage target first. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

@MFasulo well we are at 11.24.48, due to we use LTS releases.

Maybe that functionallety isn’t in our release.

Backup destinations look like the screenshot in original post. As you say only thing I can click on is Add.

If I drill into the Snap shot Primary copy there is not much to change.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

@MFasulo Any update on this? I had to start using the policies, but so far not the snapshot one.

BR

Henke

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I havent been able to trace this to a particular chunk of code between 11.24 and 11.28, but when deriving the primary and snap primary will be the same target.