Skip to main content

I’ve been asked to perform a test restore of a production virtual server.  Obviously we can’t have two servers with the same name and IP address running at the same time.  Does CommVault have any documentation on how to restore a virtual server (VMware in this case), then rename and re-IP the server so it can be started up?

I’ve been a client for more than 10 years and still use the Java GUI so directions using that interface would be appreciated.

Ken

Hello @Ken_H 

I believe you are looking for these steps.:

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/32308_restoring_full_virtual_machines_for_vmware.html

By default, virtual machines are restored with the same VM name and to the same ESX server, datastore, and resource pool or vApp where the VM was at the time of backup.

• You can change the name when restoring a VM.

I’ve done some initial testing.  We use static IP addresses for our servers and I’m questioning how this is going to work.  It looks like there’s a lot of work that needs to be done by the VMware administrator.  The steps I have are:

1. Use CommVault to restore a full virtual server with a new Destination Server name.  Once complete, the new server appears within VMware vSphere and is powered off.
  2. The VMware administrator uses vSphere to connect to the newly restored server and disable the NIC.
  3. The VMware admin starts up the restored server.  The restored server has the same name as the original server.
  4. The VMware admin does a HOST RENAME to give it a new name
  5. The VMware admin powers down the restored server
  6. The VMware admin enables the NIC
  7. The VMware admin starts up the restored server
  8. The VMware admin signs on to the restored server and changes the IP

It seems to me that as soon as we execute step #7, we’ll have two servers with the same IP so I’m not sure how this is going to work.  I’m testing with a small non-production server that can go offline.

Ken, 

I would power down old VM in vCenter. Restore the new VM from Commvault and put it on a different datastore with enough space to hold it. Once its restored, power on and do your testing. After that, power off the new vm, delete from datastore, power on old vm.

Thanks @NateDogg,  Unfortunately I’ve been asked to do a test restore of a production server which means I’m not allowed to power down the current VM as it is in use.

@Ken_H Oh that makes it even easier then, just restore it to a different data store, disable the nic in vm settings and power on. You will have to log in via the vcenter console.