Skip to main content
Solved

Do all "System Created" jobs actually have to run?

• 6 October 2023
  • 3 replies

A few weeks ago I stumbled across the fact that I wasn’t running any DDB Verification jobs.  When I look into this further, I found other “System Created” jobs that aren’t doing anything.  

Picture for reference:  Some do work, some do nothing.

Question:  Should all these “System Created” schedules actually do something?  It seems to me that if they’re part of the backup system and are created automatically, that they should be there for a reason and should be doing some work.  

Is it ever OK to have System Created schedules that don’t do any work?

Ken

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Is there a specific one that you do not want to run?

Thanks,
Scott

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hello @Ken_H 

1. DDB Space Reclamations only need to run if you have storage that doesn’t support Sparse Files. This is how we prune aged data from those types of storages.
  2. DDB Verifications are not required but it is good to run them regularly. They check data consistency to ensure jobs can be restored. If an issue occurs after the data is written that would corrupt it, you wouldn’t know until you needed to read it for any reason. Since the data is deduplicated, later jobs would build off the corrupt files and you would have a gap of time where all the jobs were corrupted resulting in data loss and RPO.
  3. DDB Subclients controls the DDB backups. Again not required but makes DDB reconstructions faster in the event you need to recover the DDB. Without the backup we have to read through all of the data on storage to rebuild the DDB.
  4. *Failover, I am not sure about this to be honest as its a little outside of my Knowledge Base. Hopefully another Engineer could speak to this one.
  5. Index Backups are required to commit indexing information to storage and prune out old index records. Index is very important and these backups should run.
  6. Index Server backups are same as above, the only difference is the version of Indexing. V2 indexing runs in Index Server Pseudo-Clients rather than in a subclient of the MediaAgent.
  7. Index Cache Load Balancing Is not required but is generally good to run periodically to keep one Index Cache on a MediaAgent from becoming full. This migrates indexes periodically to keep cache utilization more or less equal across MediaAgents.
  8. The AutoCopy Schedule is only required if you use NDMP backups with SnapMirror replication.

Thank you,
    Collin
Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Is there a specific one that you do not want to run?

Thanks,
Scott

Just the opposite in fact.  Some are not running but I think / assume they all should be.  The lack of DDB Verification jobs recently caused problems for me and I wonder if there are other landmines waiting to go off.

Ken