Skip to main content

Hi team

I have installed DAG Exchange 2019 servers on Vmware virtaul machines. 

Is it possible to use intellisnap functionality in this setup to backup (snap) exchange databases ? 

I have checked that VMware VM image backup and also Exchange database agent are supported for intellisnap and all requrements (separatelly) are met.

But what if Exchange DAG is installed on Vmware environment ?

I would not use “application aware” backup because of limited functionality of databse backup in that case. I want to use Exchange Database Agent backup fully configured inside DAG servers and runing beside of vm image backups.

Thanks for all advices.

Hi @jps666,

Your only option is Application Aware with VMware IntelliSnap unless perhaps the storage for the exchange DAG is mounted via iSCSI inside the VM guest and not via RDM or traditional VMDK disk. Even if its mounted through physical RDM, it is not supported for exchange agent level snaps.

Hi.

Unfortunatelly that's what I expected.

But lets think about this setup:

Simultaneous but independent backups of exchage dag on vmware by two methods:

1. regular backup by exchange database agent for DR purposes as usual - full backup once a week and incremental backup once a day

and

2. backup VM application aware but only for creating snaps via intellisnap a few times a day. Without aux copy to backup storage.

When necessary, these snaps could be mounted as an offline database for restoring a single mailbox or e-mails.

What do you think?

Will this config work properly?