Skip to main content

Hey Guys!

Additional 0365 Exchange backup which i want to configure. But regarding to the Index, i got the Error

“Failed to create the collection with error rCannot accomodate the e4] shards since only y0] slots are available”

Can please someone explain to me what is meant by Shards? What are Shards? And if 0 available, can i increase the shards, or how can i fix that?

And can this be related to an actual running DDB Verification Job?

KR

Hello @CVtroublemaker 

Shards are used in the Indexing server to create logical mini databases inside of the index database. 

When a new agent is created a new shared is associated to it. A Shard has a max amount of items that can be inside of it before it moves onto a new one. 

There is a max of 8 shards by default inside of a index server and most customers only run one of each of the O365 agents so the max is generally only reached when the item count is to high and becoming a problem anyway. 

In the case of a MSP who creates a lot of different agents you can find you hit this shard count while your item count is still very low, in these circumstances there are additional settings you can set to increase the shard max: 

Name: EXCHANGE_NUMBER_OF_SHARDS_FOR_USERMBX

We do not recommend using this key without support being engaged and this is why i have left out the extra information that would allow you to apply it your self. 

Please raise a support ticekt and request a review with the recommendation that this key might address your problem.

Kind regards

Albert Williams

Hello @CVtroublemaker 

Shards are used in the Indexing server to create logical mini databases inside of the index database. 

When a new agent is created a new shared is associated to it. A Shard has a max amount of items that can be inside of it before it moves onto a new one. 

There is a max of 8 shards by default inside of a index server and most customers only run one of each of the O365 agents so the max is generally only reached when the item count is to high and becoming a problem anyway. 

In the case of a MSP who creates a lot of different agents you can find you hit this shard count while your item count is still very low, in these circumstances there are additional settings you can set to increase the shard max: 

Name: EXCHANGE_NUMBER_OF_SHARDS_FOR_USERMBX

We do not recommend using this key without support being engaged and this is why i have left out the extra information that would allow you to apply it your self. 

Please raise a support ticekt and request a review with the recommendation that this key might address your problem.

Kind regards

Albert Williams

Thank you very much Albert!

How can i configure the shards? And how do i know which shard is for which backups/clients?

“In the case of a MSP who creates a lot of different agents..”

What is are a lot? The customer has a small environment (from an enterprise perspective). Usually only one Media Agent should be usually enough for this environment.

I’ve already raised an incident, but would be happy to get additional informations here because support, you know..

Thank you,

kind regards,

Jan

Hello @CVtroublemaker 

The entire operation is what we would consider advanced and hidden from the customer GUI side of things. An MSP would configure an O365 agent for each of their tenants but use one lot of infrastructure for the entire operation. in cases like that if they have 10 clients, each with Mailbox/SharePoint/OneDrive/Teams that is upwards of 40 agents to be configured. Each using a new shard even tho the old used shard has space causes issues quickly and the max needs to be raised. 

Can you share a screenshot of the following: 

Command Center » Manage » Infrastructure » Index servers » Index server used for O365 » Usage tab. 

This will tell me your item count and if you are at risk of over growth.

Depending on the size of the environment is if one MA/Access node/Index server is suitable or if this work load requires to be split up and if the index server its self required multi-nodes. 

Kind regards

Albert Williams

Hello @CVtroublemaker 

Single index node with 500million objects. You are in need of a second index node. 

We have a soft cap of 250Million where you will start to get alerts and a hard cap of around 500millon where we wont let you expand any further. 

Your index node is full and out of Shards. Increasing the limit of shards in this case is not recommended. 

I would add a new node to the index server, when you do this a load balance job will auto run and spread the love between the two servers. From there you should be able to configure a new log of data. 

Kind regards

Albert Williams