Skip to main content

Hi,

We are taking backup of 1.000+ endpoints and we are trying to analyze our backup data. Like; what is the percentage of pst files, or excel files? How much space do word file consume? and things like that. And we cant see relevant reports for this purpose. Does anyone know if we need activate/data insights licenses for this purpose or we can generate relevant reports without additional licenses?

regards. 

@Brg10 , check page 25 here:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/assets/pdf/commvault-complete-license-guide.pdf

Let me know if that answers your question!

Hi Mike, Thank you for your answer. 

about answer, not really. The thing is; we have our test environment in which Activate licenses are enabled. Under Activate tab in webconsole, we can see results of file optimization, sensitive data discovery for file servers. But we cant see those analysis for laptops (we take backup of laptops). Same in reports, we can generate File Distribution reports for fileservers, but not for laptops. So actually first question here is; is this possible to generate a File Distribution report for laptops? And second question would be; if yes, do we need activate license for this purpose or not?

To make whole story much simpler, i can ask simply one question: Did anyone ever got a File Distribution report for laptops? If yes, what are the requirements for generating this report? Because our environment does not generate that report for laptops, while generates it for file servers.

regards.  

I have a feeling that the answer is ‘no’, because the Laptop agent is not the full advanced iDA, just the Core iirc.

I checked the docs on adding a file server and it states that only file servers can be added:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.26/expert/118884_adding_file_server_data_source_for_file_storage_optimization.html

Applies to: Windows, UNIX, and NAS file servers

Hi Mike,

thanks for answer. I am a bit confused because of the support matrix here: Data Source Support in Activate (commvault.com) says that endpoints are supported.

I searched the community discussions, it is interesting to see that no one wanted to see file analytics of their endpoint backups. 

regards. 

That’s interesting, it most certainly does say Endpoints are supported.

Let me speak to the developers I chatted with earlier this week about this.  I have a feeling this page is in error, but let me confirm!

I heard back pretty quickly.  This feature *IS* supported for laptops, though the dev team suspects you are likely on an older Feature Release.  Can you confirm your exact version?

They also suggested using the Command Center version (not the older console) which most of the documentation will be referring to.

Hi Mike,

Version is 11.24.29. it is not that old. Meanwhile i tried/observed few things:

1. As you previously wrote for laptops Filesystem Core package is installed. I tried to installed Filesystem package (in addition to FilesystemCore) to laptop and thought maybe this would help. But the thing is that; to use FileStorage Optimization feature of Activate, you have to give a path for each target machine in format like this \\machine_name\path . So connecting and scanning each laptop like this does not sound applicable. Seems like FileStorage Optimization from live sources is planned for fileservers. 
  2. For laptops whose backup data exist in Commvault Media servers, doing file analytics from backup data would be useful rather than doing file analytics from live source. Matrix in this link: Data Source Support in Activate (commvault.com) says that eDiscovery and Compliance and File Storage Optimization would work for Endpoint either from backup data or live source. But i cant find in documentations how either of these modules would work/should be run on backup data. Generally there is information for live sources.
  3. I saw this option in commcell. Not sure if it would help me to get the file analytics report. 

regards. 

@Brg10 , I would suggest opening a case with support to find out what is going on.  I spoke to development who stated that this is supported, so since the option is not working for you, that fits a support case.

Let me know the incident number once you create it so I can track accordingly.

I see you opened an incident; sharing solution:

Finding Details:

--- - The FIle search report is not retrieving data when selecting all the clients.

- We saw info written above the template which says For V2 indexing clients, up to 10 can be selected.

Solution:

- We tested the same and we can't generate reports for more than 10 clients.