Skip to main content

Background:

Running on Commvault 11.28.x

I have a folder that basically like this that is needing to have all files and folders in it backed up and its not backing up anything, even though there are files/folders inside it.

The path is: \\folder1\folder2\Some Folder [1010-00909]

NOTE: This folder is a Windows file share, not *nix

Currently I have this in the ‘Content’ configuration in the subclient, which just has a \ at the end of the path: \folder1\folder2\Some Folder l1010-00909]\

Question 1: I was under the impression that you had to put a ‘\’ at the end of a file share path and this would cause all files/folders to be backed up inside the folder. Looking at the online docs: Wildcards for the Windows File System Agent (commvault.com) It does not list using ‘\' at the end, but does show (in a roundabout way) that you need to use 3 asterisks ‘***’ at the end of a folder to backup up all files/folders? Is this ‘the correct way” to so this or is using ‘\’ at the end ok (maybe this is deprecated)?  We have been using ‘\’ at the end of several of these and it appears to be working… but maybe there is a caveat to doing it this way?

Question 2: The backup probably is having an issue with the p1010-00909] in the folder name.  Looking at the docs (link above) it seems to indicate that the way to handle the ]’s is specifying a wildcard character to escape each i], which I have chosen the tilde ‘~’ character:

<P:e=~>\\folder1\folder2\Some Folder ~<1010-00909~]\

If I choose this, Commvault will not accept it as input and says its invalid. I cannot add this path to the content as the java UI refuses to save it.

What is the proper syntax to handle the <]s? is the dash also causing an issue (as data inside t] is handled in special ways apparently)?

When it comes to UNC paths your best option is creating a NAS client and using your Windows client as the access node. This also negates your path concerns as you can just browse for the directory and add it as content.

To address your first query though, you do not need to use \ as Commvault will understand that it’s a directory but it isn’t a hindrance at all, just an extra keystroke.

Wildcards can be awkward, in your particular instance you could use \\folder1\folder2\Some Folder *1010-00909*\ this gives you a guaranteed syntax that should know which path unless you have multiple folders with this naming scheme but replacing a] with other characters.

Hopefully this helps

Interesting... Even when using Browse for local content selection, it appears that square brackets are treated as a Regular Expression.

Confirming: *1010-00909*\ worked. Thanks!  But still: if one could not do this solution, I am still curious what the answer is for “escaping square brackets”.  From @Erase4ndReuseMedia it appears they are special in the picker as well.

Also: @Jace Ross : I hope to migrate all of our NAS (UNC) backups/paths off of filesystem clients to NAS agent(s), but we have quite a few and I inherited the system as its set up today so I’m just maintaining what we have right now.

Tigger2, by all rights the escape character should have worked. The browse should also understand the correct path. I would suggest raising a Commvault support incident to investigate these further.

I completely understand regarding your inherited environment. These things take time but I’m glad we’ve at least got you moving for now.