Skip to main content

Hi Community,

We have a use case for single instance InfluxDB servers that will reside on VMs on-prem, with the possibility of including the software clustered on-prem also in the future.

As far as I can tell there is no information to backup InfluxDB that I can find in our CMV DOCS or on this Community forum, does anyone use this and have some good recommendation.

The influxDB comes with backup and recovery tool sets, so I would imagine using the tools to create backups and ingesting the folders into Commvault via file backups frequently might only the be the case  here, and couple that with a VM backup of the OS vDisk.

Anyone lese have a view or working scenarios with decent RPO?

Thx for any replies

Hey @BSOMAN,

Will see if anyone has a solution - I have not had the need to protect influxDB, and have only used it a few times as part of some lab grafana projects. Looking at their docs, your approach seems like the best way:

https://docs.influxdata.com/influxdb/v2.7/reference/cli/influx/backup

I would run a VM backup with pre-script to execute the influx backup and then have VSA capture the result as part of the VM. This way you can restore the VM and have a batch file ready to go to run the recovery process. If you need a more aggressive RPO, you could leverage VM replication or something like file live sync or CDR.

Thanks for the reply Damian, that is a good option, the RPO isnt decided, as soon as that is known, will come back with an answer and close this thread.